Mystery footprint

Builder

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:31 am
@rosborne979,
No exotic zoos or animal collections in this region rosbourne.
But, people from many nationalities participated in the pearling industry here in past decades. Many of them from countries where small primates exist. They were all sailors, so the possibility that we are discussing an escaped pet is highly likely.

The only questionable aspect would be the longevity factor of such a pet, considering the fact that post WWII most of those workers were sent home.

Of the footprints that I've turned up in my research, some of the monkey prints match fairly closely. Ironically, an almost perfect match is found in the print of the stoat. Unfortunately, the stoat doesn't grow anywhere near the size required of the print I photographed.

Other rodent tracks are a close match, but their toes are longer, and the heel less pronounced. And of course, like the stoat, they are too small.

I can see that my sleep patterns are going to be affected by this little critter. I'm going out again tonight, as the sand is damp from recent rain, and this might be the last of the wet season. Speak of the devil, it's raining again now.
Ionus

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:37 am
@Builder,
If you stagger back with your throat torn out just type in "arrggghhhh" and we will know what happened . If you just loose both arms and a leg, then type in "qwertyuiop" . If however, it turns out to be harmless, make something up to aid us against our boring lives . At least you have a hobby ...chasing the Broome Beastie . Now that I think about it, it might be attracted to brooms so take one with you .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:13 pm
you're sure it's not a bunyip?
Builder

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 10:52 pm
@margo,
The only bunyip statue I've seen is at Kilcoy, west of Brisbane, and it's huge.

A google search of 'bunyip footprints' turns up some three-toed prints that look nothing like the ones I photographed, Margo. Oddly enough, the prints I posted here come up on the same search, half-way down the page on the right.

0 Replies

Prickle

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 12:38 pm
It's a juvenile bunyip.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 03:22 pm
good thinking, prickle
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:29 pm
@margo,
Update. Walked the same area at first light this morning. Saw nothing on the way out, but on my return, found several sets of tracks, in two sizes. One stretch of tracks clearly shows a bipedal stance and motion, with approximately 35 to 40 cm between prints. No tail drag. Though the feet appear to be opposite to ours. I'll post the video later.

It would appear that this critter is here regularly, possibly feeding on plants that grow on the road verge, and it may not be nocturnal, because I've found no prints at night. The little critters walked the road about half and hour after sunrise, just after I'd passed through.

Must leave the dog behind, if I'm to get another look at it. Thinking of buying a trail camera, if I can't get a sighting again soon.

One boffin is saying the prints are possibly macropod, though he may change his mind after seeing the bipedal walking style.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:33 pm
@Builder,
If you get a chance to take more video, try to get a wide-field view of some of the surrounding area. I would like to get a feel for what the environment is like there as well. Good luck.
Builder

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 09:13 pm
@rosborne979,
I'll be setting up the tripod and cam before dawn tomorrow, rosbourne, right on the corner where I saw the prints this morning. I did take some shots of the bush here at sunrise. Here's one from this morning.

http://bonzle.com/h/g/t/8/5ltgk.jpg

Some new pics on the same site, showing the distance between prints, both front and rear, and more prints of this area.

http://bonzle.com/c/a?a=showcase&fn=dtdpznzh&u=Stormin&or=3&sz=3&pg=0&yr=0
rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:40 pm
@Builder,
Very nice. Makes me wish I was there to see it myself.
Builder wrote:

I'll be setting up the tripod and cam before dawn tomorrow, rosbourne, right on the corner where I saw the prints this morning. I did take some shots of the bush here at sunrise. Here's one from this morning.

http://bonzle.com/h/g/t/8/5ltgk.jpg

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:41 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Some new pics on the same site, showing the distance between prints, both front and rear, and more prints of this area.

http://bonzle.com/c/a?a=showcase&fn=dtdpznzh&u=Stormin&or=3&sz=3&pg=0&yr=0

Can't you find any local trackers? I would think they could identify these in a heartbeat.

Hollywood movies would have us believe that even a blind aborigine could track an underweight mouse through a sandstorm. It MUST be true!
Builder

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:50 pm
@rosborne979,
Hollywood is make-believe. I don't think anyone could be called a true black-tracker these days, though I could be wrong.

Found other, smaller prints this morning. Lovely to sit and watch the bush come alive.

Here' a theory. The critter in question may be very old, and he/she may have had one rear leg and tail ripped off by wild dogs. The tracks show only one left foot, and both front. Like most animals that lose a leg, they adapt to a new way of walking/hopping.

Still determined to get some footage, even if I have to outlay cash for a new trail camera.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:55 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Here' a theory. The critter in question may be very old, and he/she may have had one rear leg and tail ripped off by wild dogs. The tracks show only one left foot, and both front. Like most animals that lose a leg, they adapt to a new way of walking/hopping.

That would explain a lot. If we're dealing with a deformed animal, then the tail problem goes away and the movement becomes explainable. Then we're back to matching a creature defined by general size and foot print shape.

The prints most resemble a large rodent or squirrel or something, perhaps even a wallaby or rock kangaroo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:55 pm
@Builder,
Adds that some of us are following without posting.
0 Replies