Bizarre site -- World RPS Society

Monger

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 12:50 pm
World RPS Society
[quote]The World RPS Society declares 2002 to the be the "Official year of the Rock"[/quote]

Looks like it's a big thing! Weird.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,950 • Replies: 16
No top replies

pueo

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 01:18 pm
That was bizzare.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 01:37 pm
Just go to the main home page - LOL
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 02:48 pm
I think I heard the Olympics committee was going to drop the Pentathlon in 2004 and replace it with RPS.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 03:25 pm
I once was involved in an unsanctioned and unsupervised RPS game, it went on for days and the carnage was unspeakable...

I still have nightmares!!!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 03:49 pm
The World RPS Player's Responsibility Code

1. Safety First! Always ensure that all players have removed sharp jewellery and watches.

2. Ensure agreement, before the first round, on priming conventions (we recommend the standard 3 prime shoot).

3. Always establish what is to be decided or whether the match is to be played for honour.

4. Pre-determine the number of rounds required to win the match (remember odd numbers only).

5. Encourage novice development by explaining blunders in judgement with a mind towards being helpful. Don't berate.

6. Think twice before using RPS for life-threatening decisions.

7. Always respect foreign cultures. When abroad consider yourself an ambassador of the World RPS Society.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 04:35 pm
Sure, that's fine Bill, once you hit the bigs, but what about the dog eat dog world that is minor league RPS, and what about the hundreds of thousands of boys and yes, dare I say it, GIRLS too! in unsanctioned and unsupervised "pick-up" games.

There in lies the ugly soft underbelly of the "dirty little secret" that is RPS.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 05:07 pm
Read #5 Maxie, this list covers every, I mean every possible occurence for ethical standards. If it is a bunch of novices, be sure and reinterate #6 and foremost #1.

This is the world reknown 5-6-1 standard for novices! This stuff was never meant for rank amatuers!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 05:27 pm
The street RPS game is all flash, all style over substance. Sure, they might throw a behind-the-back scissors or paper between the legs in the show, but they've got the fundamentals, too. Behind every R-R-S-R-P sequence are tens of thousands of hours of practice, unglamorous, alone. I knew a guy who spent an entire winter fine tuning his rock, and he was cut in the first week. Too slow and sloppy on the prime, they said. He's stocking shelves in Ames, Iowa now, waiting for his big break.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:20 am
It's all a political scheme, wanting us to go back to World War II.

Remember, Stalin used the Rock.
Hitler used the Paper.
Churchill used the Scissors.

(Nixon tried, years later, to imitate Churchill, but didn't have the skill)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:08 pm
Ha! You call THAT a game!!
RPS might be fine for folks on their days off from the sheltered workshop.

Here's the game where men are REAL men, women are REAL women and small plastic discs you flip are REAL small plastic discs you REALLY flip:

http://www.tiddlywinks.org/
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 12:41 am
Oh, strange, new, world that hath such beings in't!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:44 am
I think that we are slowly and inexorably advancing to the more difficult and intellectual recreations that make life so much richer.

This thread makes me want to go out and get some jacks. Do they still sell those things? Confused
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:44 am
I think that we are slowly and inexorably advancing to the more difficult and intellectual recreations that make life so much richer.

This thread makes me want to go out and get some jacks. Do they still sell those things? Confused
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:00 am
Nice double-bounce, Phoenix. Obviously, you are a Jacks Master ... er, Mistress ... errrrrrr ..... nevermind.

timber
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:30 am
Nice bit of the bard there, dlowan . . .

The Tempest . . .

But that there Miranda always was such a wide-eyed innocent . . .
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 01:26 pm
http://www.worldrps.com/images/archive/leadon.jpg

I just love this site! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
At first glance, the rules of Rock Paper Scissors seem simple. As you look deeper, however... they're still pretty simple. Let's not kid ourselves.
- Rock smashes scissors (rock wins)
- Scissors cut paper (scissors win)
- Paper covers rock (paper wins)
- Flounder slaps penguin (experts only, flounder wins)

...Or so I thought, at least. Here're the Official Rules of RPS Play -- and the MUST READ for all aspiring RPS gurus: Advanced RPS tactics.
Check out this excerpt from the World RPS Society, showing just how much of a high-demand sport all of this really can be:

Quote:
... In other events, Chad Leatherstep (Co-Chair Disciplinary Committee) in his address delivered a landmark speech pledging a crackdown on performance enhancing drugs in professional level play. "It is the worst kept secret that the dressing rooms at many tournaments have become literal 'hotboxes' of abuse. We will be targeting specific suspicious players for random drug testing. They should be easy to spot as they tend to spend more time hanging around the vending machine and concession stands than the drug-free players."

Imagine that! Your friendly local Rock Paper Scissors tournament unbeknowest to you may have become a literal 'HOTBOX' of abuse!!!
...I mean seriously, what ARE these people on?? Very Happy

-- Here're a few more people taking this just a bit too far:
The cult of roshambo - Fanatical cult group devoted to the religion of Rock Paper Scissors. Laughing

And don't forget to play Rock Paper Scissors via email!

Some stirring RPS haiku gleaned from the RPS Society's Bull Board:

Quote:
Always throw paper.
How can you lose with paper?
Forget scissors, man.

You delayed your prime
Won't synchronize your rhythm
That's just dirty play

Paper is the throw
For the narcissistic fool
The masturbator

few are perfect forms