georgeob1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:40 am
Try this site

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/authors.html
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:17 pm
700+ E-Books
Here you go . . . 700+ E-Books. Highlight the line below and hit Enter.

700+ E-Books
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 09:39 pm
If you can find them, the Terry Goodkind sword of truth series is fun. I also like Neil Gaiman's American Gods. A lot of people like the comic books The Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean. I personally enjoy Erma Bombeck's early books because they are funny (on the frustrations of being a mom in the 1960's.) The same with early (and only early!) peanuts comics by Charles Schultz. Ooh and early Doonesbury, although you might not understand a lot of the political movements. They used to be available for free but now they charge Crying or Very sad. If you like art historical fiction you may want to read Girl with a Pearl Earring. I really like parts of "I am Cat" but that is translated from japanese...
If you want American beatnik literature try some Jack Kerouac (dharma bums, on the road, big sur) or maybe One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest or - I forget the Author's name.

I like the poetry of Leonard Cohen. You can find some of it online.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 10:04 pm
Since you are Russian, you've probably read Dostoevsky in Russian. Perhaps it would be easier to read him in English since you will be familiar with the story line. Idea Just a thought, Bill
0 Replies

durriken

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:05 pm
A good introduction to this country are Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby", Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird", and some of the "Nick Adams" Hemingway's stories, like "Up in Michigan" and "Big Two Hearted River".

Also, Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", and they're not really for children.

They all use simple straight forward English, excepts for Huck's - but that don't matter, so enjoy!
0 Replies