OPUS

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 11:47 am
The new OPUS comic strip by Berkely Breathed has been chock-full of beautiful artwork. The Houston Chronicle surprised me by giving it one third of a page every week so far. (They even experimented with making the pages of the comics about three inches taller, but only for one week). Frankly, I was growing a bit restive because I found the story line a bit static. But, this week, as of the action of Governor Schwarten&%^%^* regarding the Mars probe, for me, Opus is finally back. YIPPEE!!!!!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,575 • Replies: 23
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 12:45 pm
Edgar
Edgar, do you long for the "old" opus style or do you like the new Opus as well or better? The new Opus is much edgier and not as loveable, don't you think?

BBB
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 01:42 pm
do you have a link so that I could see the great Mr Breatheds work/ Our backwoods newspaper only carries crappy strips like "The Family Circus" I cannot believe trhat people actually read that sophomoric sentimental slop. i need edgy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 02:05 pm
BBB
This last episode seemed to be beginning a slow reversion the the original style, if my read is correct.
farmerman
I have looked for it on the web, thus far with no success.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 03:03 pm
I'm thinking the strip will come from the static and dark present into the dandylion fields of past and future. Maybe a parable of his Breathed's life without Opus?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 03:15 pm
He was prophetic that a Mars shot would get lost. While it was not a British one, Breathed had it be launched by the CA governor in order to get a shot at the actor/polititian. ("I can do anyting"). All Opus has to do now is shake off his fiance and git goin.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:31 am
I have an Opus stuffed thingy. I was led to believe that it would be worth something one day. Well, is it?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:41 am
Sorry ed, but I think the new Opus strip sucks rocks.

'Course... I've been reading 'Pogo' and 'Little Nemo in Slumberland' of late, so the bar is set pretty damn high.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:49 am
Farmerman re Opus
Farmerman, read this right away; no idea how long this scanned Opus site will survive. ---BBB

http://s88108024.onlinehome.us/opus/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 12:20 pm
As I said in the first post, I think the strip is on the verge of returning to its former glory - just hasn't got there yet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 01:55 pm
Yes, and the art work is a bit too slick for this strip. Its either cgi or else its airbrush. too much roundness being shown by complex shading. Its a friggin comic strip not bloody Vermeer
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:07 pm
Ahhhh, I hesitate to look. I was such an old Opus fan..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:29 pm
Well, what about this week's episode?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 07:39 pm
This one was cute. He's still setting the stage.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 07:44 pm
I was super super happy to see one (since I get only the comic-less NYT and it's not available online) and read it eagerly and then was like... oh. That's all?

Stage-setting makes sense, I guess, but in and of itself it was quite uninspiring. (I don't remember what it was about, Opus had a suitcase and was on his way back to Bloom County.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 07:55 pm
http://ignatz.brinkster.net/opus/opus.html
This site was publishing all the new episodes, but has been silenced.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 07:58 pm
Right. BBB's is not operational anymore, either.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:01 pm
I was glad to see Opus back but yeah, he's off to a slow start.

In today's strip Opus pants'd a couple of teenage underwear exposing types. (you know, the kids that wander around with the waistline of their jeans down around mid-thigh with their undies hanging out.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:04 am
I agree with those who believe the Opus strip is grasping at straws somewhat, but, unless I miss my guess, Berkely Breathed will soon revert wholly to character - but, the change in art style may be permanent.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:38 am
BBB
Yep, disappointingly slow start, but moving in the right direction.

Draw faster, Berke!

BBB Cool
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » OPUS
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 12:51:02