English book

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 01:16 am
Hey,I'm a freshman from English major.my teachers encourage us to read a lot English books. how can i choose a book?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 570 • Replies: 2
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 01:26 am
@nzliusong,
The King James Bible would do for starters. King James was an Englishman...
roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 02:07 am
@gungasnake,
Nooooooooo! That would be one of the toughest books possible, and at best would teach a manner of speech that no one uses outside of church.

Nzliusong, are you expected to read books that are considered "Literature", or just stuff that will help with the language. If it's just for language useage, I would suggest crime/detective novels. They are normally written in the way the language is currently used. Best of all possible choices would be books translated from your current language into English. Depending on your language, this might not be possible to find.

Avoid horror, science fiction, and fantasy stories. They will not only be using vocabulary not in common use, they will have made up words that will be worse for your study than nothing at all.
0 Replies