Can't get on web site anymore.

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 01:24 pm
Everytime I put a certain website address in, it takes me to a mobile version.

I see an "m.nameof site" in the address.

I try and try again, but can't get to the REAL web site - just this mobile upload interference.

Anyone know what's going on? This is the only web site that does that on me.

TIA for info . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 694 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 01:33 pm
@PUNKEY,
Have you tried a different browser? Maybe clearing your cookies and temp. files?
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:01 pm
@Irishk,
thanks - I did that. someone said something about my low resolution is being picked up by the mobile network. I don't know how to increase my resolution.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 06:19 pm
@PUNKEY,
Have you tried a different computer or had someone else try accessing the website with their computer?

That will help narrow the problem to something with your specific computer set up.

If others have the same problem, then it is a problem at their website that they need to attend to.

You're welcome to PM me the site if you don't want to post it and I'll try accessing it with my Firefox browser.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 10:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Others don't seem to have the problem

Here, you try.

It's a public web site - a museum

www.gwbhs.com
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 10:26 pm
@PUNKEY,
The site displays properly for me. So let's try something else.

Okay, just for kicks and giggles, give this a try. Go to this site and copy into it the url of the site you don't want to view as a mobile version. Let me know if your historical society site displays properly.

http://www.google.com/gwt/n

By the way, which browser are you using and are you using any sort of parental controls on it?
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 09:16 am
@Butrflynet,
http://m.gwbhs.com/

I am on att.net

I never thought to look on my web browser.
Wow, it says that is internet explorer browser got moved, deleted or re-named.
That means I don't have one, right?
Can I download a browser, like FireFox?

There are no parental controls
Irishk

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 09:49 am
@PUNKEY,
I generally get the mobile version of a website when I'm browsing on a tablet type device running an Android OS. Sometimes there will be an option to switch to desktop view somewhere on the page, but such is not the case with your museum website. I then typed in the url using the 'm' in the address and the resulting page gave me a choice (mobile or desktop) and the address reads as 'www.gwbhs.com/?mobile-=1'. Webpage content didn't change at all, though.

I'm pretty much an amateur with this stuff, but I think it's a glitch with your browser. Otherwise, clearing your cookies and temp. cache probably would have worked.

You can upgrade IE (I'm not sure what the latest version is) or download any number of other browsers that will suit your needs. HTH.

0 Replies