exporting/importing favorites

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 05:18 pm
i am using IE but want to transfer my favoirtes to my school computer which is G4 MAC using Safari as a browser. How do I export my entire list and then import them into Safari? When I export I am assuming they get saved somewhere?? Obviously I have to import from some place. Help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 571 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 06:07 pm
If I want access to them from any computer, I bookmark them in "My Yahoo". I understand that this is not an answer to your question, but it is my work-around.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 06:23 pm
rog- How do you do that? I would like to do the same thing.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 11:58 pm
When you export your IE favorites you can specify a file location to save it to. Then it will save the bookmarks as an HTML file.

I am not sure if Safari will import said file.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 12:28 am
Oh.

Phoenix, what I've been doing is opening the favorite and copying the URL. In my yahoo home page there is a bookmark option, with "Add" as a sub option. I pick that, and there it is. I often rename it. That's another option.

For the security conscious, bookmarks are supposed to be bad because they are not stored on your own disc. Favorites are.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:16 am
Roger- OY- One at a time? I would be sitting at the computer for weeks copying. I thought that there might be some way to bookmark them in one fell swoop. Thanks, anyhow!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:01 am
OK, I took the easy way out. I exported my favorites to my Documents, and then copied them onto a floppy. The reason that I was interested, was because I may be getting a new computer soon, and I didn't want to lose my favorites!

Quote:
For the security conscious, bookmarks are supposed to be bad because they are not stored on your own disc. Favorites are.

Please explain. In the meantime, I'll delete the bookmark file, since I have the stuff on the floppy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:38 am
I've only heard that it's possible for an outsider to learn the sites you visit from your bookmarks. I'm not at all sure anyone really cares.

Maybe sometime I should publish my bookmarks and see who stays awake through the list.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:40 am
Phoenix,

You did the right thing (except deleting the file, which is unecessary).

Roger is talking about saving your sites to a remote service. The terms "favorites" and "bookmarks" are really interchangeable and not a distiction between remotely saved sites and locally saved sites. I think that might have caused some confusion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:25 pm
Craven- Thanks for the explanation. I really don't need the favorites in My Documents, 'cause I already have them in my favorites.
0 Replies