Girandoni Air Rifle

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 12:05 pm
Austria's ultimate weapon, circa 1790...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI&feature=player_embedded#at=255
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,314 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 12:12 pm
@gungasnake,
you'll put your eye out...
gungasnake

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 01:17 pm
@Rockhead,
Not a bb gun, more like about 40 caliber or some such and capable of killing things.
roger

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 02:01 pm
@gungasnake,
What's the MV. I've often wondered if there isn't some upper limit on both air rifles and black powder rifles.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 02:20 pm
@roger,
I would GUESS that velocity would have been something like 900 - 1000 fps but that's just a guess. Max velocity of black powder weapons was always something like 1200 - 1400 until just recently with inline black powder weapons and 150-grain loads and metal good enough to hold that. Max with those kinds of weapons is probably around 1600 or so. Half of the weight of black powder gets turned into gunk and white smoke while smokeless powder is vanishingly close to 100% efficient, huge difference. The biggest problem with early repeating rifles in Custer's time was barrels gunking up, which was also the main impetus for the multiple barrels on Gatling guns i.e. more shots between cleaning barrels.

An air rifle of course had no such fouling problems. The idea was to have the air cannister in the stock be detachable and guys behind the firing lines in an Austrian army operating donkey turnstyles to recharge cannisters.

The thing failed to make Austria the supreme military power in the world for several reasons. Mainly, they'd have had to totally redo the structure of their military and create a citizen army of some sort with people bright enough to use the things.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Girandoni Air Rifle
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:53:36