Thunderbird too choosy about email

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 12:10 pm
I have Thunderbird email, but suddenly the only message I can received is an experimental one to myself. Nothing else comes through. My settings eem unchanged. My computers are HP Pavilion a1550y running XP Home; and HP Pavilion Slimline S5000 Series running Windows 7. Neither machine accepts email today.

Any suggestions about solutions?

Please, could you email your answers to me at [email protected] since the T-bird email is on the fritz.

Thunderbird/Mozillazine won't accept my user name and password, so I can't get info from those forums.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,193 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 12:20 pm
@Tomkitten,
You don't need to be able to sign into their website to access the support info. Here's what I found that may be helpful to you:

Did your ability to receive mail suddenly stop? Was it working before?

Cannot Receive Messages
Is your account configured correctly?

To look at the settings for an account, select Tools | Account Settings, then select Server Settings from the list on the left. The connection to the incoming mail server is configured at the top of the page.

Your email account provider can give you connection information about their servers (probably on their website). Make sure your account settings match these settings.

See also:

* Configure an Account (for instructions on using the New Account dialog for manual configuration)
* Automatic Account Configuration (for creating a new account)
* ISP Configuration Settings

Did your ability to receive mail suddenly stop? Was it working before?

* Check the service status of your ISP. (Many ISPs have a status or alert page on their website.) They may be having technical difficulties.

* If your ISP provides a web-based email interface, try to log in and view your mail. If you can see your messages, the problem is probably related to your account configuration.

* If you cannot log in to your ISPs web-based email interface, your password may have changed. If so, it must also be changed in Thunderbird. To change your password:

o Open Tools | Options (Windows) or Thunderbird | Preferences (Mac) or Edit | Preferences (Linux).
o On the Security page, click on the Passwords tab and then click Saved Passwords....
o Click on the relevant account and then click Remove.
o Close and re-open Thunderbird. You will be prompted to enter a new password for the account.

Are you receiving some emails but not others?

* Does your ISP have a spam filter that might be holding or deleting messages on the server?
* Have you created filters in Thunderbird that might be mis-filing messages?
Tomkitten

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 04:27 pm
@Butrflynet,
I went to all these FAQ sites and got no satisfaction. The questions skirted my problem but didn't address it directly. As for changing my password, T-bird won't even acknowledge my user name. I feel un-personed. If I could access T-bird/Mozillazine I could change my password, but as this requires email, I'm stuck.

Oddly, the Democratic Party got through just a while ago, but all the daily ads, plus Slate and other non-ad sites haven't shown up and I don't find anything wrong with my filters.

0 Replies