Any dollar stores in the neighborhood?

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 04:04 pm
All over the Houston area they proliferate. They will soon become as numerous as gas stations, it sometimes seems. Most of what they sell is inferior, but there are some major brand names available - nothing big: mostly foodstuffs and candy. My wife comes home with big bags of M&Ms, Butterfinger bits, Almond Joy chunks - But she does occasionally find something worthwhile in there, although I can't think of it just now. But, they live up to their name. Nothing ever costs over a dollar in there, except when adding tax.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,351 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 04:13 pm
We have a couple of those stores in my area. One calls itself "Dollar General", but some of their stuff IS over a dollar. There's a lot of junk, but you CAN get good buys there. The other is, I think "Dollar Tree", and none of their stuff is over a dollar. In fact, you can get greeting cards at 2 for $1-, which is great. they have those gift bags, which cost a lot in the regular stores, for a buck.

I go there sometimes. If you have the patience to wade through the junk, you can really find some bonafide bargains.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 04:49 pm
there is a 'dollar general' around the corner from where i live. I buy my non foodish type stuff there, if i can get it, and little odds and ends that i might normally get from target or walmart or something, that's not going to kill me if it breaks after a few months. detergent (3.00 for the name brand i use). got lots of wrapping paper this year. that's something i refuse to pay a lot of money for (3.00 + per roll) because it's just something that gets ripped off, balled up, and tossed out.

like phoenix says, you can find good things at the dollar tree - if you've the patience to wade through the junk. there is one in every mall here in orlando i believe - and the place is ALWAYS packed.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 05:10 pm
The $2 shop chain has proliferated in NZ over several years. ($2 NZ is only about $1 of yours)

But I do better than that. I live in a small village and I open an old shop of my own on Saturday mornings where I give stuff away. People bring in anything they don't want and swap it. - books, clothes, household stuff
and they also get free coffee and snacks and catch up on the town's news.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 05:52 pm
Eve
That's wonderful. Something I would do under different circumsatnces.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:01 pm
Hey, Eve, that's a terrific idea! I like it! Very Happy
I'm a great frequenter of op shops ... great fun! Lots of them in the inner city where I live, but none free like yours.

Edgar

$2 shops all over the place in Melbourne, Oz. Not half as interesting as op shops though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:14 pm
There is a chain of $.99 stores that sells a huge television set for $.99 when they first open. There are lesser items, but pretty valuable too, that first day. People line up for hours to get in.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:21 pm
Does anyone come back after day one, Edgar?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:25 pm
I am sure they do, else the chain would not have money to open new stores. These stores are huge, by the way.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:50 pm
there are a number of dollar stores in Connecticut. Some of them are in malls!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 08:27 pm
There are many dollar stores in my area. A great place to take children when you promise to buy them something.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 08:30 pm
We have dollar stores called "A Buck Or Two".
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 08:49 pm
Eve, I love your idea, wish I lived closer to you!

We also love Dollar stores, which is where I go for candles cuz I burn so many of them. They also have awesome chocolate-covered cashews! OMG, ask my grandson!

You do have to KNOW your prices though because at times if something is a dollar at Dollar stores, you can find it for 50 cents at Wal-Mart!
0 Replies

Cotuit

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 12:07 am
Dollar Stores are like a way of life in NYC.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:23 am
We are surrounded by Dollarama's in my area. The stored are huge and I love them. I find all kinds of school supplies, craft stuff, gift bags, gift wrap, cards, holiday decorations, candles, picture frames, file boxes, vacuum bags, hair clips and I could go on and on.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 08:22 am
Uhg...
0 Replies