RN re-entry

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:57 am
I have over 30 years experience as an RN in many areas and I also have an advanced degree in psychiatric nursing. I have been out of practice for about 10 years and my license has expired. I am willing to take a refresher course and am interested in getting into the field of gerontology. I am over 60. Realistically, what are my chances of getting back into nursing. I do not want to waste time and money on a refresher course if my chances are slim to none.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,413 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:41 am
@wilsonce,
My mom is over 60 and is a nurse who is thinking about changing jobs -- we were just talking about how nursing is an unusual profession in its willingness to hire older women.

She has been working continuously though so I'm not sure how different that would be.

There have been nursing shortages in the near past that seem to not be as acute anymore, but it is still one of the more promising fields for someone with an advanced degree and over 30 years' experience, I think.

Maybe you could go ahead and contact some local employers (hospitals or whomever you'd want to work for) and see what they have to say.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:54 am
@wilsonce,
You may need recent experience to get back in full swing, leaving the catch-22 of how to get it. Right now the market hasn't been great but normally the nursing shortage is such that if you have a valid license you can get a job.

I don't think your age is a big deal, but the lack of recent experience is likely to be your biggest obstacle to overcome.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:17 am
@wilsonce,
wilsonce wrote:

I have over 30 years experience as an RN in many areas and I also have an advanced degree in psychiatric nursing. I have been out of practice for about 10 years and my license has expired. I am willing to take a refresher course and am interested in getting into the field of gerontology. I am over 60. Realistically, what are my chances of getting back into nursing. I do not want to waste time and money on a refresher course if my chances are slim to none.

I'd say your chances are very good, if you are selective in the jobs you apply for. You will need to take refresher courses to get your license back.

Because of your age, you might consider hospital jobs that are only part-time. Additionally, nursing homes or assisted living institutions are also a good bet.

Moreover, many wealthy individuals are constantly looking for in -house nursing care, or even for travel both in the US and elsewhere.

As th economy improves, the number of nursing jobs will increase. Thus you should get re-certifed and be sure to take those brush-up courses.

By the way, I have mixed feelings about agency placed jobs.

Good luck.
0 Replies