I Hate Speaker Phones

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:06 pm
This evening, I had some good news to tell my brother. I called him, and the first thing that he said was, "Wait a minute, I want to put you on the speakerphone, so X (his wife) can hear this too.

I replied, "I hate speakerphones", and he turned it off.

I have a personal hatred of speakerphones. IMO, I don't like the idea of what I am saying being blasted all over someone's house.

It's not like I had any problem with my SIL hearing about what I was saying. It would have been fine for him to tell her when he hung up on me. I just didn't want to make a speech for the entire house.

How do you feel about speaker phones? Do you use them? Do you mind when other people put you on speaker phone?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,333 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:23 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Hi, Phoe. I don't have much experience with them, but I instinctively feel as you do.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Something odd going on. I posted "Hi, Phoe. I don't have much experience with them, but I instinctively feel as you do." But, it didn't show up. I clicked it again, and I got a duplicate post warning. But I see in the line up on new posts (yes, refreshed) that there are zero replies. On the other hand, I see the post.

I've gotten a couple of fatal error notices in the last hour.
If this keeps up, I'll report it on Contact Us. But maybe it's just a blip.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso- And I don't understand why I could not post my thread in color.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:04 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I think it's just a blip..

The new posts section showed 1 response after my second one, so I think it was just a short malfunction.
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:04 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I hate them, too. My husband loves speakerphones...drives me nuts1
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:04 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I DETEST them!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:13 pm
I have mixed feelings about them.

I don't mind other people listening to me on speaker phone, but I hate it when people think their speaker phone has a good microphone. It doesn't. They always sound like they're talking from inside a tin can.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:53 pm
Sadly, with hand held cellphone usage being banned in vehicles, this will now become more common. I don't like it either, it's not going to end anytime soon.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 04:49 am

hate 'em because co-worker has annoying habit of using speaker to dial numbers, so we all get to hear dialtone, numbers being pushed, and party answering the call -- at which point he cuts it off and uses phone like a normal person.

i've never asked him about it -- at this point he prolly doesn't even realize he's doing it -- but my theory is he and a few others started playing with it when the phones were first upgraded with the speaker phone feature...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 09:55 am
@Ceili,
I have my cellphone connected to the bluetooth that is integrated in my car. I don't mind that, because very few people have my cellphone number, so it is usually my husband or my brother who is calling. If I am on a highway, I will usually tell them that I will call them back. Even with "hands free", I find that talking on the phone while driving is distracting.

Invariably, when my husband calls, and wants to know where I am, I am just pulling up on the driveway! Laughing
Mame

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 05:32 pm
@Ceili,
Headphones!
roger

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 05:38 pm
@Phoenix32890,
So? I used to work for a guy that would call as he pulled into the drive. I mean, c'mon! He's going to be face to face in the office in less than a minute. Kind of glad he didn't have a speaker phone.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 05:41 pm
@Mame,
It's illegal to drive with headphones on up here.
Mame

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:37 pm
@Ceili,
What??? I'm in Calgary! They talk on their cell phones still! And anyway, can't you get a Bluetooth ear set or whatever it's called?
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:52 pm
I once saw a show on TV. Maybe t was on "60 Minutes", but I can't be sure. Anyhow, it must have been around 10 years ago. The story was filmed in Finland, the home of Nokia.

The story showed Finns, walking around holding gizmos against their ears, and talking. At the time, I thought that it was the weirdest thing that I ever saw.

Go back in time some more. I had read an article that said that someday, people would have one phone number which they will use at home, at work, and at play. Thought that was pretty weird too.

What a difference a few years make!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:58 pm
@Mame,
My mistake. I read that somewhere and I'm now assuming the writer jumped the gun. The new driver distraction laws coming soon in AB are kind of confusing. You can wear a bluetooth device or earbuds as long as they are connected to a handsfree device. I don't think you can listen to a iPod for example...
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/4213.htm
The one that pisses me off is the pets? Really, the biggest distraction in cars is kids, but you can get a ticket if a dog is in the front seat at the officers descretion.

I don't do the speaker phone, but my husband does, drives me nuts... Cause he talks so freakin' loud..
0 Replies