Proxy server requested

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:16 am

Without google, many useful information have been missed out. I need some proxy servers to use an unabridged google for scientific purpose (typically medical science) . Would anyone be so kind to give me a hand?

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 7,538 • Replies: 20
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:37 am
@oristarA,
I am not sure I understand the question. Are you in China, or some country that filters data?

If so, you might want to look into Tor, which is an Onion router that masks who you are, and what websites you are looking at.

Of course, there is probably some risk to using this technology in a country where the government frowns on it. But, I do know that there are people who do such a thing.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:47 am
@oristarA,
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:48 am
@maxdancona,
My question is simple:

With a proxy I can visit youtube (it is now been blocked)
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:06 am
@oristarA,

is youtube being blocked by your employer or by your government?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:14 am
@oristarA,
... oops, that would be a problem.

I was googling around to try to answer your questions, and I see there was a very recent, and very widespread, internet clampdown in China. I was going to post a link to the Tor website, but I see that it was also just blocked.

The internet privacy community is working very hard on opening up "bridges" to China which will solve your problem. But we still need to get you the software.

Try one of these websites. These are copies of the Tor website that will give you the information you need. All of them work for me, but I don't know how good your censors are.

http://rem.spline.de/tor/
https://tor-www.5coluna.com/
http://tor.kamagurka.org/

If these don't work, I can give you more. Activists are specifically working to get around the recent censorship in China, and this is a bit of a cat and mouse game.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:16 am
Let me also say this very important thing.

Follow the instructions very carefully.

If you plan to do this, you are obviously doing something risky. It has been carefully designed to be secure, but only if you follow the instructions.

Make sure you check the checksum, for example. If you don't understand anything, I will be more than happy to help. But don't skip any of the steps or your privacy may be compromised.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:02 am
See if you can access this website:

http://www.proxy4free.com/list/webproxy1.html
BillRM

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 01:02 pm
@oristarA,
The following website had software that can get around any likely blockage and if you can not get the software directly let me know and I will get it to you by way of an internet dropbox website.

www.torproject.org
oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:00 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

See if you can access this website:

http://www.proxy4free.com/list/webproxy1.html

Thanks.

I did google and got the link before posting the thread. It turned out that all proxies failed to work (the homepages of the proxies could be opened, but data searched were blocked still).

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:01 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

The following website had software that can get around any likely blockage and if you can not get the software directly let me know and I will get it to you by way of an internet dropbox website.

www.torproject.org

I've downloaded Tor and it failed to connect anything.

BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:26 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

Did you read the directions carefully?

If you had IE did you set it up with port 8118 and address 127.0.0.1 under proxy server connection tab?

Did you try to set up relay bridges?

A little more details then it did not work would be useful.
oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 01:55 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Did you read the directions carefully?

If you had IE did you set it up with port 8118 and address 127.0.0.1 under proxy server connection tab?

Did you try to set up relay bridges?

A little more details then it did not work would be useful.

I ran Tor, but it could neither connect to a relay directory nor establish an encrypted directory connection. See the sreenshots below:

http://www.picupload.us/images/tor.jpg

http://www.picupload.us/images/tor1.jpg

Regarding "Settings":

I first clicked "Settings", then clicked "Network", and then ticked "I use a proxy to access the Internet". In emerging "Proxy Settings", put the address 127.0.0.1 and port number 8118 into their right places and HTTP type. Still, it failed to establish an encrypted directory connection.

Regarding "relay bridges":

I chose "Settings-Sharing", and ticked "Relay traffic for the Tor network". It didn't work.
BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 05:23 am
@oristarA,
Well first you should keep trying new relays by getting their addresses by email and second let see if anyone here could set up a private just for you tor relayor bridge on their system as such a relay would no be found out to be block.

I would love to do so for you but for reasons I do not care to go into I can not.

Is there anyone here that would be willing and able to run the tor relay/bridge software just for OristarA use?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home » Documentation » Bridges
Tor: Bridges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bridge relays (or "bridges" for short) are Tor relays that aren't listed in the main Tor directory. Since there is no complete public list of them, even if your ISP is filtering connections to all the known Tor relays, they probably won't be able to block all the bridges. If you suspect your access to the Tor network is being blocked, you may want to use the bridge feature of Tor.

The addition of bridges to Tor is a step forward in the blocking resistance race. It is perfectly possible that even if your ISP filters the Internet, you do not require a bridge to use Tor. Many filtering programs look for unencrypted Tor directory requests to recognize that you're using Tor, but Tor version 0.2.0.23-rc and later use encrypted directory queries by default. This change means that most filtering programs are now unable to recognize Tor connections. So you should try to use Tor without bridges first, since it might work.

Note that it's also possible that Tor is non-functional for other reasons. The latest version of The Tor Browser Bundle on Windows tries to give you better hints about why Tor is having problems connecting. You should also read the FAQ about problems with running Tor properly when you have issues. If you feel that the issue is clearly blocking, or you'd simply like to try because you're unsure or feeling adventurous, please read on. Ensure that you're using the latest 0.2.1.x or 0.2.2.x bundle for your platform.

To use a bridge, you'll need to locate one. Furthermore, you'll need to configure Tor with whatever bridge address you intend to use. You'll do this with Vidalia, the Tor controller. If your Internet connection requires the use of a proxy, you'll probably need to configure Vidalia to do so first. If you don't think you need to configure a proxy for your Internet connection, you probably don't. Give it a try and if you have issues, ask us for help.

Freedom House has produced a video on how to get and use Tor bridges. If you don't see a video below, view it at Youtube: Freedom4Internet Know of a better video, or one translated into your language? Let us know!

At the moment, you can get a bridge by visiting https://bridges.torproject.org/ with your web browser. If this page is filtered for you, and you don't have any other proxies or ways to reach it, there are other ways to find bridges too.

Understanding bridges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an example, you'll get a bridge entry that looks like the following:

bridge 141.201.27.48:443 4352e58420e68f5e40bf7c74faddccd9d1349413

Understanding the components of a bridge line isn't strictly required but may prove useful. You can skip this section if you'd like.
The first element is the IP address: '141.201.27.48'
The second element is the port: '443'
The third element, the fingerprint, is optional: '4352e58420e68f5e40bf7c74faddccd9d1349413'

Using bridges with Tor and Vidalia

To use the example bridge address above, go to Vidalia's Network settings page, and click "My ISP blocks connections to the Tor network". Add each bridge address one at a time in the Vidalia Network settings page, by pasting it into the "Add a Bridge" window and then clicking the "+" sign. Adding a bridge is pictured below:

You'll want to add as many bridge addresses as you know about, since additional bridges will increase reliability. One bridge should be enough to reach the Tor network, but if you only have one bridge and it goes down, you will be cut off from the Tor network.

Finding more bridges for Tor

Another way to find public bridge addresses is to send mail to [email protected] with the line "get bridges" by itself in the body of the mail. You'll need to send this request from a gmail account, though — otherwise we make it too easy for an attacker to make a lot of email addresses and learn about all the bridges. Almost instantly, you'll receive a reply that includes:

Here are your bridge relays:

bridge 60.16.182.53:9001 c9111bd74a710c0d25dda6b35e181f1aa7911133
bridge 87.237.118.139:444 c18dde4804e8fcb48464341ca1375eb130453a39
bridge 60.63.97.221:443 ab5c849ed5896d53052e43966ee9aba2ff92fb82

Once you've received the email with bridge information, you can continue the Vidalia configuration steps outlined above.

Running a Tor Bridge

If you want to help out and you can't run a normal Tor relay, you should run a bridge relay. You can configure it either way:

manually edit your torrc file to be just these four lines:

SocksPort 0
ORPort 443
BridgeRelay 1
Exitpolicy reject *:*
or using Vidalia:

If you get "Could not bind to 0.0.0.0:443: Permission denied" errors on startup, you'll need to pick a higher ORPort (e.g. 8080) or do some complex port forwarding.

When configured as a bridge, your server will not appear in the public Tor network.

Your bridge relay will automatically publish its address to the bridge authority, which will give it out via https or email as above. You can also tell a user about your bridge directly: if you're using Vidalia, you can copy-and-paste the bridge address from the Settings window. If you're on Linux or BSD, you can construct the bridge address manually using the format above (you can find the fingerprint in your Tor log files or in /var/lib/tor/fingerprint depending on your platform).

If you would like to learn more about our bridge design from a technical standpoint, please read the Tor bridges specification. If you're interested in running an unpublished bridge or other non-standard uses, please do read the specification.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 07:43 am
@oristarA,
Hi Oristar,

BillRM is correct (if a bit wordy). You need a Bridge. Try the following.

1. Go back to the Settings screen (from the control panel you posted).
2. Click the Network tab on the top.
3. Click the "My ISP blocks connections to the Tor Network" box (this is the key step you are missing).
4. On the bottom is a button that says "Find Bridges Now". Click this. If bridges appear in the box at the bottom you may be finished. This might not work.
5. If step 4 doesn't work, then you need to enter bridges yourself. You type the IP address in the top box and press the green plus sign. I will give you some below. You want to enter more then one in case one gets blocked, of course the more the better.
6. Please let us know how that works.

I sent a email request for bridges for you. I put the response I received below.

Good Luck,

Max
------
[This is an automated message; please do not reply.]

Here are your bridge relays:

bridge 41.224.114.96:443
bridge 200.8.122.29:443
bridge 68.35.132.87:8443

Bridge relays (or "bridges" for short) are Tor relays that aren't listed
in the main directory. Since there is no complete public list of them,
even if your ISP is filtering connections to all the known Tor relays,
they probably won't be able to block all the bridges.

To use the above lines, go to Vidalia's Network settings page, and click
"My ISP blocks connections to the Tor network". Then add each bridge
address one at a time.

Configuring more than one bridge address will make your Tor connection
more stable, in case some of the bridges become unreachable.

Another way to find public bridge addresses is to visit
https://bridges.torproject.org/. The answers you get from that page
will change every few days, so check back periodically if you need more
bridge addresses.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:09 am
It remained not working after I did step by step according to your instructions.

The screenshot:

http://www.picupload.us/images/tortxt.jpg
oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:12 am
https://bridges.torproject.org/ has been blocked.

Not public bridges can be found.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:45 am
@oristarA,
Hmmm, this is not a problem with the bridges, this is a problem with something in your network settings.

What happens if you click that "show settings" button.
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 02:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Hmmm, this is not a problem with the bridges, this is a problem with something in your network settings.

What happens if you click that "show settings" button.

Here:
http://www.picupload.us/images/adld.jpg

Can you see something wrong there?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:03 am
@oristarA,
Try getting rid of the "I use a proxy to access the internet" checkbox. When you set up Tor, it will act as a proxy. I am not exactly sure what this checkbox is for, but I think it is letting you set up a secondary proxy (i.e. if you had a work network).

If does work, I would check the "Services" and "Advanced" tabs to see if there is anything strange there. I will spend a little time googling for you about that proxy thing.