Tiger versus Lion versus Cheetah

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 12:06 am
If there was three fights between a tiger and a lion, a tiger and a cheetah, and a lion and a cheetah; which cat would win?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 7,812 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 01:28 am
@Redwood08,
Lion
roger

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:21 am
@Roberta,
Tigger
Francis

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:28 am
@roger,
Unless one of them gonna cheeta...
roger

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:41 pm
@Francis,
Nah! Cheetahs never win.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:46 pm
@Redwood08,
A cheetah would never fight one of the other two. Totally opposite of their natural behavior.

As for the lion and tiger, it depends on which type. Some are considerably larger than others.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 03:13 pm
@Redwood08,
Redwood08 wrote:

If there was three fights between a tiger and a lion, a tiger and a cheetah, and a lion and a cheetah; which cat would win?

The tiger and lion would destroy the cheetah, and probably with one well placed swipe of their paws.

From a size and strength perspective a male lion and a male tiger are fairly evenly matched.

Male lions manage a pride though, and their ratio of fighting to hunting is much higher than a tiger's, so an argument can be made that a lion would be more likely to stick to the fight than a tiger, and so would win --- or at least chase the tiger away.

However...in my long ago youth I was obsessed with Big Cat Tamers and read every book on them I could find. They all wrote that Tigers were more dangerous than Lions, but that may well be irrelevant.

Leopards, pound for pound are bigger bad-asses than either a tiger or a lion, but they wouldn't match up well in a one on one fight with either. Maybe a mated pair against one of the larger cats.

I'm not sure a cheetah could beat a lynx.

Big handicap for cheetahs is that they don't have retractable claws. This helps them run but it makes their claws much less of a weapon.
Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 03:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
A cheetah wouldn't stand a chance against either a lion or a tiger. They can't hold their own against a leopard or a hyena. They sacrificed a lot of weapons for speed.

Although tigers are bigger than lions, lions have something that would help in a fight to the death--manes. These protect their throats from death grips. I saw a program a number of years ago in which scientists set up computerized combat (not the real thing), and the lion's natural protection saved it in a fight with a tiger. Not sure how this would play out in the real world, but it makes sense.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:01 pm

Tigers are faster. Tigers can reach 50 mph while lions reach 40 mph. Tigers box fast while lion go for the knockout punch and thus slower. Tigers ususlly kill lions when caged together.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:08 pm

This one is artificial.

0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:37 pm

Tiger kills male lion. They fight for dominance.

Tiger kills crocodile

talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:55 pm
Tigers are more athletic. They can easily jump 12 feet. See crazy attack by tigress up an elephant.

I have seen many videos of lions and they loll all day long. The male lion doesn't hunt but takes any kill and drives everyone away except maybe his cubs. The male lion seems to be a couch potato. The tigers is hunting all the time so it is more athletic.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:41 pm
Crocodile kills 2 lionesses.

Killer whale (really are large dolphins) kill shark.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:49 pm
@talk72000,
Talk, Thanks (I think) for the videos. I stand corrected. From what I've seen, tigers seem more aggressive than lions. I know they're bigger. Live and loin.
talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:32 pm
@Roberta,
I am glad you find them informative. I was also unsure till I accidental came across those videos. many posters to those videos were blasting the Koreans for putting the lions and tigers together. Tigers are like cheetahs as they run quite fast and like leopards as they hunt alone. Lions hunt in packs so are less athletic.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:36 pm
@Redwood08,
The one who learns how to use a gun in this hypothetical fight will win.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:15 pm
The speed difference is quite startling as the tigers can run down an ostrich which can run at 45 mph. The lions and lionesses never bother with ostrich as the lions reach a speed of 40 mph so cannot out run an ostrich.

Here tigers are taken as cubs from the zoo and taught to hunt and they do catch an ostrich. Tigers can reach 50 mph.
Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:48 pm
@talk72000,
talk, This is getting me confused. I did some googling. Lions are listed as among the fastest mammals on the planet at a speed of 50 mph. Tigers are given as slower. I also found a number of cases in which lions have killed tigers.

I found a reference to the computerized lion/tiger fight I mentioned earlier. The fight is now not considered invalid.

I've read a number of "expert" opinions. Each expert speaks with authority. The tiger would win; the lion would win. The tiger would beat a grizzly bear. The bear would beat a lion.

I'm putting my money on the great white shark. Yes, I know that orcas can do in great whites. But I'm with the shark anyway.
talk72000

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 05:48 pm
@Roberta,
If you look at what each hunt you will see that tigers hunt deer while lions hunt wildebeest. Deer are faster. The lioness is very much like a tiger so it would be the same speed as a tiger, I assume. But the male lion wouldn't be fast. The tiger is elusive and not much has been known about them compared to lions.

Why don't you provide the sources for lions?

Quote:
The tiger is overall faster, swifter, and more agile than the lion.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_faster_a_lion_or_a_tiger#ixzz1EMEZZmZc

Quote:
Why The Tiger Has a Better Chance of Winning:

There is a popular notion that a lion is meant for fighting whereas a tiger is meant for hunting and hence a lion will win in a tiger-lion fight. Some people mention that like a pitbull can own larger dogs, a lion can defeat a tiger since, like the pitbull, the lion is meant to be a fighter. This is a bad comparison. That a lion plays the role of a fighter in a pride doesn’t make the tiger a non-fighter and just a predator. A tiger predates AND fights. And that’s why they are way more active than lions. Over their lifespan, a lion fights other lions less than ten times. This may be well less than the number of tiger-fights a tiger has to face over food/mating/territory. A lion may have to fight off hyenas, too. A tiger, on the other hand, fights with leopards, wolves, dholes and black/brown bears over food/territory.

The ‘strength’ analysis is of course an ideal one. A lot of them may prove to be invalid in real fights. Most of the ‘documents’, ‘eye-witness accounts’ and vidoes (though most of them are manipulated to suit the story of movies) show that there is more chance of a tiger winning the fight than a lion winning it. It seems that a tiger might be reluctant to fight at first. But if compelled to, it’s a much better and more powerful fighter than a lion.

Size does matter. An average Bengal/Siberian tiger measures 10 feet and 500 lbs. Can measure up to 11 feet and ~620 lbs. Lions average 9 feet and 410 lbs. Can grow as large as 10 feet and 530 lbs. (Not considering the more extreme cases for either cat). Clearly, tigers have an advantage. Additionally, the build of a tiger provides much more balance and agility. The weight of a tiger is more evenly distributed over its body-length than that of a lion. A tiger’s tail, being heavier compared to a lion’s, makes it easier for the tiger to turn. And if the animal with larger size also has greater agility, it’s the one that should win more fights. Add to that the advantages of bigger paws, faster swipes and longer canines!

An African lion, hailing from a place where it doesn’t get much competition from other animals, attacks from the word ‘go’. On the other hand, a tiger, coming from places where it fights bears, wild dogs etc, assesses the situation first and then goes for the kill. (Ok, lions, too, live alongside wild dogs. But they don’t clash much since lions live in prides. For the same reason, lions rarely fight leopards). For this reason, some animal trainers and experts have mentioned the tiger as an intelligent boxer. Additionally, the Bengal tigers are widely considered as being extremely aggressive when drawn into a fight.

In 100 fights between the two in any natural setting and in non-extreme climate, I’d bet a Bengal tiger will own an African lion 80 times provided there is no bias in choosing the animals. I’d expect an average Bengal tiger of the Terrai (see above) with 530 lbs and 10′, to make a short work of an average South African lion (~410 lbs and 8.5′). Even pound for pound, a tiger is stronger. If it’s a smaller-than-average Bengal tiger, with size and wight similar to the lion’s, it should be 70-30 in favor of the tiger.

Overall, there may be very few really big and aggressive lions that may defeat a Bengal/Siberian tiger, but on an average a tiger will win against a lion almost everytime.

Quote:
Tiger/Lion and Rhino: There are evidences that tigers in the North and East India kill rhinos, even though rarely. But no lion has been known to have killed a rhino. Not even a lion pride. But this is not a good comparison of strength. It surely goes on to say that the tigers must be super-strong, but it can’t discredit the lion for not attacking a rhino. The African rhinos have longer and sharper horns and may grow bigger than the Indian ones. Here’s a WWF report on two orphan rhino calves whose mother has been killed by a tiger. Here’s a report saying that three rhinos have been killed by tiger(s).

Tiger/Lion and Elephant: The Indian elephants avoid tigers. Elephants are known to be attacked by tigers, even though rarely. One single tiger can kill a bull elephant. While it’s true that one single lion can not kill a bull elephant, we need to see the difference in elephants. The African elephants are much larger than the Indian ones and have longer tasks. A bull African elephant is around 1.5 times in weight compared to an Indian one. Here’s a Yahoo!News article about how a bull elephant died after getting injured by a Bengal tigress. One of the most viewed videos online is a small clip where a tiger attacks the person sitting on an elephant. Notice how the tiger completely ignores the elephant!

Tiger/Lion and Buffalo: The tiger wins a point here. It’s extremely rare for a single lion to take down a Cape Buffalo. The tigers frequently prey on Gaur and Asian Water Buffalo, both of which are much bigger than the Cape Buffalo. The Gaur is the largest of the major species of wild oxen and has a superb muscular built. It can stand more than 6′ at shoulder and weigh more than a ton. This journal paper by John Singh indicates that Gaur falls into regular prey category of tigers. A Gaur had reportedly been killed and dragged by a tiger whereas 13 men could not move the carcass!

http://indrajit.wordpress.com/category/lion-vs-tiger/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_faster_a_lion_or_a_tiger
Roberta

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:33 pm
@talk72000,
Talk, You keep referring to speed. Not sure why, but you do. Here's a link. Lions and wildebeests have been clocked at 50 mph.
http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-twenty-20-fastest-land-animals-including-humans

Info about the speed of tigers varies. Here's one link:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_the_top_speed_of_a_tiger_running

Here's a video of a lion killing a tiger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqE0KwhS26M

Fact is, I don't have strong feeling (or opinions) about this one way or the other. I suspect that sometimes the lion will win. Perhaps more often the tiger will win.

I'm sticking with the shark.