My favourite DJ retired.

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 02:07 am
I've always loved music.
I grew to hate radio. I became sick of most DJ's trite humour, one too many pitchmen yelling and hearing the same songs over and over again.
A friend gave me tickets to the Edmonton Folk Fest. Four days of music rarely played on commercial radio. The music was stellar.
I turned the dial soon after and caught Bill Coull's afternoon show on CKUA. He weaved a magical, musical palette. I began to tune in regularly to his and other radio hosts programs. I heard music from around the planet and listened to every conceivable genre. I began my true musical education.
I learned there was more to radio than same old, same old. The learning curve was pretty big though, I hadn't heard of these people's names or instruments and musical types before and the dj's bandied them about, as if common.
But I loved what I was hearing and paid rapt attention.
The programs are as versatile as the many artists featured. Each host chooses the mix and colours the show with anecdotes and information.

Bill Coull began his radio career at 19 and it was he who shaped the radio stations present, unique sound. Bill guided the station for much of his 41-year love affair with CKUA. Last year he was voted Canadian Jazz Broadcaster of the Year. He taught all his listeners to appreciate music and savour the beauty in a finely crafted song. His taste was impeccable.
Sadly, after what we all hoped was to be a short leave of absence, he quietly retired this week. I will miss his gentle voice and his insight.
I hope he's having a blast wherever he is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,323 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 02:07 am
I really can't help but gush about this station. Ckua is Canada's oldest public radio station. The sound may come from my hometown but the listeners are now a worldwide audience. Strictly because of the diversity, the commentary and the discerning ear of the hosts.
This is a list of the hosts top 30 favourite picks for the last two weeks of November.
various artists - CKUA: Alive from the Vault, Vol. 1 (Indie / www.ckua.com/shop/cds)
Steve Pineo - Around the Horn (Indie)
Michael Franti and Spearhead - Everyone Deserves Music (Boo Boo Wax)
Al Green - I Can't Stop (Blue Note / EMI)
various artists - Verve//Remixed 2 (Verve / Universal)
Terry Morrison - High Mileage Soul (Indie / Spirit River)
Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - (Hellcat / Epitaph)
Lyle Lovett - My Baby Don't Tolerate (Universal)
Capercaillie - Choice Language (Sanctuary / EMI)
Lhasa - The Living Road (Audiogram)
various artists - World 2003 (Narada)
various artists - Hold Your Ground Vol. 3: Enough (indie / http://cd.activist.ca)
Sergent Garcia - La Semilla Escondida (Virgin)
various artists - Acme Sausage Company (Indie / www.ckua.com/shop/cds)
Ricki Lee Jones - Evening of My Best Day (V2 / BMG)
Poncho Sanchez - Out of Sight! (Concord / Koch International)
Van Morrison - What's Wrong With This Picture (Blue Note / EMI)
Thea Gilmore - Avalanche (Compass)
Bruce Springsteen - The Essential Bruce Springsteen (Columbia / Legacy / Sony)
Delbert McClinton - Live (New West / Sony)
Nelly Furtado - Folklore (Universal)
John Wort Hannam - Dynamite and Dozers (advance release) (Indie / www.johnworthannam.com)
Daude - Neguinah Te Amo (Real World / Narada / EMI)
Wilfred N and the Grown Men - Waiting for Luck to Come (Indie / Spirit River)
Corb Lund Band - Modern Pain (Indie / www.corblundband.com/txt-merch.html)
Souad Massi - Deb (Wrasse / Sony)
Elza Soares - A Bossa Negra (Bros / Dubas)
Joan Baez - Dark Chords on a Big Guitar (Koch International)
No Luck Club - Happiness (Indie / www.noluckclub.com)
various artists - Zed: Live off the Floor (CBC Records)

I posted the CKUA website in the portal a while ago, so if your interested go there. I really love this station and the diversity and hope you will too.
0 Replies

Cinderwolf

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 07:53 pm
I too found that i could not stand listening to much radio, idiot DJs and commercials that would make me cringe, and all that terrible pop that gets played. about five years ago i started to listen to that "weird station that no one listens to" and really got hooked. It has become quite a important part of my life. this past summer while working i would listen almost nonstop. The best thing about the station is of course the wonderful music but a close second are the great personalities who host the various shows. they are actually likeable intelligent people and most importantly....individuals. Seeing Bill Coull leave is kind of like saying good buy to a friend. He will be missed but i really like Luka Simmons who i think will be taking over the afternoon edition.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 12:40 am
I hope she will too. I will post the years top 100 when released. I would really love if everyone here started to listen to the station. It's a good thang, to steal from martha...
0 Replies