Journalism School-- A Must?

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 12:12 pm
Hello, I am twenty-six years old, and I live in Saint Louis, MO. I would like to pursue an academic career in journalism, with the intention of becoming either an investigative journalist or a foreign correspondent. I am, unfortunately, clueless in regard to which study path I should choose.

I have researched a bit and I find that many people claim that a journalism school is a must. I have also read advice that puts general communications school programs in a negative light.

My two options are Washington University-- this is the easiest option for me-- and Webster University. Neither has a school of journalism. Wash U does not offer journalism as a major: in fact, it only offers one course that is strictly directed towards journalism. Students, apparently, choose to major in English. Webster University, slightly similar, has many general communications courses but only a few that concentrate on journalism. How imperative is it to find a journalism school, if I were to wish for a successful start in my professional career? If it is not imperative, then what are alternatives?

Thank you for your attention. As I mentioned, I am not fully aware of my options. I would appreciate any advice.

My email address is [email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 901 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 12:47 pm
@addmofuego,
Is your intent to work in print journalism or video journalism?

Here's a list of journalism schools as well as a summary of the debate about the need for journalism schools:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism_school
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 01:08 pm
@addmofuego,
Check out these articles to help you decide whether to major in journalism or major in subjects important to the category of journalism you want to pursue and pick up journalism classes along the way.

http://mediacareers.about.com/od/classesandeducation/a/JSchool.htm

There are also some online journalism studies available to you.
addmofuego

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 01:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet, thank you for your advice! I am interested in print journalism, possibly investigative; ideally, however, I would like to be a foreign correspondent. The about.com articles were informative.
May I ask, whether or not you are a journalist?-- If so, what path did you follow? If you did not attend a J-School, what was your major?

Thank you! Smile
fbaezer

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 03:07 pm
I am a journalist, an editor (in Mexico). For print paper.
I studied economics, and started writing on the economy-business section, then went to sports, politics, etc.
Some of the best editors I know majored in Modern Letters (it could be English, in your case) and went to do post-graduate studies in journalism.
BUT, most of the good investigative reporters I know did study journalism as undergraduates. One of them majored in Geography, another one in History, but they were exceptions rather than the rule.

IMO, journalism is a vocation: it will pull you with enormous gravitational force if you have it, regardless of your field of study (I've known doctors, lawyers, even engineers doing this fascinating job).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 04:38 pm
@addmofuego,
No, I'm not a journalist by profession and my journalism education after high school has been mostly self-taught. As fbaezer says, it is a vocation I gravitate toward within any organization I'm involved.

I took journalism classes in high school in the 1970's and was editor of my high school newspaper and yearbook for two years. I've also been the creator and editor of a monthly employee newsletter for a large national title insurance company (1980-1990) and, most recently, was the creator and editor of a bi-weekly newsletter for a regional grassroots group for the 2008 Obama campaign.

Have several friends in the media who I've helped with background research on investigative articles. The one I'm most proud of won a Pulitzer Prize for the reporter in the weekly newspaper category many years ago.

Journalism is in my blood. My mom wrote a column in a local newspaper many many years ago when I was a young kid.
0 Replies