Ceili

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:00 pm
It has just come to my attention that you, the good citizens of the USA are banned from eating the always delightful scottish delicacy... Haggis. My sincerest sympathies.
Apparently, your government in its infinite wisdom has deemed sheep lungs not fit for human consumption. They've no such designation on sheep liver, kidneys or stomach.?..
So on this auspicious day, celebrated since 1796 (most likely) celts and lovers of indistinguishable poetry have raised a glass of their finest scotch. It is with heavy heart I raise a toast to you, the unlucky, the gastronomically challenged, the deprived... To you, USA, unable turn your nose up in disgust (like the rest of us) at the massive flesh toned sausage. My you one day soon be able to feel the silky smooth oat and innard porridge cross your parched tongue.
Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
And sae let the Lord be thankit.
Happy Rabbie Burns....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,569 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:14 pm
@Ceili,
In Merka we can eat anything as long as you put it between two slices of bread.
Haggis can be pretty gamey tasting , and if it werent for all the good single malt that you drink to kill its taste, nobody would eat it.

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:22 pm
@farmerman,
Check out the Canada thread for a variation on the theme... lol
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:23 pm
@Ceili,
probably poutine and rice in a Tim Hortons
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:56 pm
@Ceili,
Well, I tell you this -- if it warn't haggis I had a couple of years ago on the occasion of the feast day of my own patron saint, yclept St. Andrew, it was a pretty damned good imitation thereof. This was up in New Hampshire and the hostess who prepared it was Scots born and bred and pretty happy on the braes and among the lochs until this Murrican from NH came along right after the big war was over and married her.
Ceili

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:04 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Apparently, I read it wrong. It's only outlawed when imported. I guess if it's made on home turf, it perfectly fine.
Another reason to celebrate!! How long have you been married?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:08 pm
@Ceili,
No, no, that wasn't me own wife I was speaking of. She's another furriner -- from Texas. The Scots lassie who prepared the haggis was a neighbor who owned the local grain, feed and garden supply store in Jaffrey, NH.
Ceili

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Sorry, it's seems my dyslexia is acting up again. Wink
0 Replies