Gasland or Dick Cheney's Unintentional Attempt to Pollute the Country's Entire Drinking Supply

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 05:08 pm
Finished watching the deeply depressing and devastating documentary Gasland, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1558250/. It's a muckraking work about the dangers and aftereffects of the industrial process of hydraulic fracturing. Also known as fracking, this commercial practice is the preferred manner in extracting natural gas from deep underground. The process uses a litany of man made carcinogens that leach into the drinking water sources of the nearby population. The direct water/fracking contamination has been documented by both amateur and professional scientists and conservationists alike.

The hows of hydraulic fracturing or fracking can be found here:
http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/whats-fracking/

http://i52.tinypic.com/2nqy1sl.jpg
The screenshot of the director, Josh Fox, while he plays his guitar nearby a drilling rig on the national public park land somewhere in the Midwestern US. The gasmask was not simply a visual gimmick as the area was contaminated with carcinogens in the air and nearby waste water.
http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

What gets me is this environmental disaster is happening RIGHT NOW in the heart of far too many Red States: Texas, West Virginia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Montana, and everywhere in between. At least thousands of families are directly effected by this disaster and yet they tend to vote for the antiregulation/antienvironment/pro-pure unadulterated-profit-at-any-cost party, the Republicans, which allowed this nonsense to happen in the first place as they dismantled the regulation and protection system that existed to protect the public and the environment in the first place.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2e20yl4.jpg
The map of the US and its river and stream system and overlaid over the primary natural gas reservoirs which are targeted for further exploitation and drilling.

roger

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 06:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Should I listen to somebody doesn't know the difference between a guitar and a banjo?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:28 pm
@roger,
(((sigh))) Well Roger, a great American philosopher AND banjo player once said:

roger

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
In case I failed to mention it, I very, very seldom do videos. Takes so long to download I have to ding the program to keep the computer from going to sleep.

The only additive I know of in the local frac jobs is KCl, which is potassium cloride, and that's only in formations with a certain type of clay. Oh, and sand. They do sand fracs, too. There may be other stuff in there, but I haven't heard about it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:26 pm
It depends on what you're fracking for and what the oil/gas is embedded in. They used to use salt water, then diesel now it's propane. Once the oil is up, they recover the propane.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 08:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Scientific Study Links Flammable Drinking Water to Fracking

For the first time, a scientific study has linked natural gas drilling and hydraulic fracturing with a pattern of drinking water contamination so severe that some faucets can be lit on fire.

For the rest of the article:
http://www.propublica.org/article/scientific-study-links-flammable-drinking-water-to-fracking
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Frack Study's Safety Findings Exaggerated, Bush EPA Official Says
By MIKE SORAGHAN of Greenwire
Published: May 20, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/05/20/20greenwire-frack-studys-safety-findings-exaggerated-bush-65374.html
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:11 am
@Ceili,
It's not semantics Ceili. There is a big difference between recovering the chemicals used for fracking and trying to recover those same chemicals.

Trying and doing can be two different beasts considering merely trying can also be defined as failing most miserably in the process and as the scientific studies, the companies are trying but fail to remove the fracking chemicals thusly many water sources have become truly and dangerously compromised in the process.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 01:00 am
@tsarstepan,
You may wish to read your links before commenting - the "flammable gas" is methane gas (commonly known as swamp gas) and if you want to outlaw it you'll have to outlaw all wetlands starting with the Everglades. You want to look for chemicals poisoning the water supply, start with California's MBTEs, added to gasoline after a massive effort by environmental do-gooders and since outlawed. There's worse - the horrible contaminants of "industrial animals" (sic)
http://www.ei-resource.org/common-chemical-contaminants-of-municipal-water/

From the same link - wood-burning stoves aren't the environmentally friendly alternative to fossil fuels like natural gas; they're even more dangerous:
Quote:
In 2001, The Saratoga News reported that the Environmental Protection Agency had labelled the San Francisco Bay area as a polluted body of water due to dioxin contamination. It was thought that the high levels of dioxins in the bay were partly the result of the popularity of using wood burning stoves for heating homes in California.............................."Exposure to dioxins can cause chloracne, a severe form of skin disease, as well as reproductive and developmental effects, and more importantly, liver damage and cancer."
farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 09:09 pm
@High Seas,
As someones whos actually been involved in slant drilling and pneumo and hydraulic fracturing {"Fracking") Ive found the film loaded with untruths, half truths , and outright lies. Im not a "drill baby drill" asshole either. Fracking has caused some problems and these were the reults of improper casing, sealing and/or sealing of the overburden.
In Pa , there are over 450 wells in place and there are exactly 3 cases of bad seals with complex gas migration (its a combination of methane ,ethane , asn several other aliphatics of higher C's)
The SIerra Club is sponsoring "GAs;land House PArties" to spread this stuff that the producer has raked up. Rather than looking at the benefits and HOW THE INDUSTRY SHOULD BE HELD TO A STANDARD FOR SAFETY< ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY, AND LEGACY FUNDING (for potential future problems), The purpose of this movoe is to develop an "us v them" attitude that once again lays the whole problem on a particular political problem. The issue forgotten is that most all of the milestone environmental rules have been presented during GOP administrations (AND IM A FUCKIN DEMOCRAT!!!).
I wish this guy much monetary success because he certainly has no credibility with me.

This entire thing has been produced with an agenda that seems to be wanting to stop the production of possibly the cleanest fuel that we can produce for the next few hundred years.
We should, rather than buying this ****, be writing to the governors in the states where the "gasland" plays are active or proposed and require severalk things

1 fair severance taxes placed upon the extraction so that the funds for environmental cleanups arent missing if the drilling causes environmental damages

2Stream basins should be identified wherein the gas companies will have responsibility to return the basin to pre drill conditions if any damages occur.

3Sinking funds established to assure that post production land is returned to pre drill conditions

4 State govets keep out of the way of the state environmental agencies to monitore and assure that the drilling , fracking, production, and piping are all done with mcare(I am NOT IN FAVOR OF THE PA SYSTEM WHICH IS BASICALLY DE-REGULATION). AS Ive said consistently, industries must be watched over , They will NOT do what is right without oversite.

5 LET THE DRILLING COMMENCE, let the resource be exploited so that we can all benefit from its relatively clean energy .

Think about coal fired power and petroleum "Cracking" for making complex distillates from which we make gas, diesel, plastics, and fertilizers. Its much easier "building up" the molecules without thermal cracking. And as far as diesel, we can produce that as a renewable from many sources including bacteria and algaes.

Tsar asked me to check in a few months ago and Ive purposely stayed away because Ive known about this movie and have been trying to find oput why the producer seems so unzipped from reality. There are problems with the technique, but not enough to shut down the entire industry. Thats just nutz.

Ive heard that the drillers have been able to "backjack" the sections of tubing that cause many of the problems of propogating gas leaks from the deep producing strata to the upper wayer bearing strata. Its a matter of better sealing Its not an impossibility. the gas producers will invest in what it takes especially if the DEP's are doing their jobs (with sufficient funding thats produced via the severance taxes). The drillers arent gonna go away, the gas is gonna stay where it is so they will always be interested.
High Seas

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 01:47 pm
@farmerman,
Tks so much for fascinating explanation I'll have to study later - was in Berlin and points East. An even bigger financial crisis may be looming - one or more credit events are inevitable no matter what those French dirigistes keep saying. Agree we need to exploit resources better. Will revert after studying your post.
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 01:55 pm
@High Seas,
OY, just as I was done rejiggering some assets in funds.
0 Replies

srobertson

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 11:13 am
I got to interview Josh Fox, the director of "Gasland" about grassroots organizing and Big Oil.

Check it out!

http://www.amherstwire.com/director-of-gasland-josh-fox-on-big-oil-grassroots-organizing-and-yoko-ono/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 02:44 pm
Someone might want to look up Nitrogen Fracking. Judging by the fleets of liquid nitrogen I've been seeing in the San Juan Basin belonging to Halliburton and NOWSCO, it's becoming quite popular with some producers.
0 Replies