IM on WebTV

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 03:42 pm
Does anyone have any experience using IM on WebTV? As a WebTV customer you are automatically registered into MSN, so any MSN enabled IM system knows when you're logged on. The problem is that though I can see the WebTV user logged in, if I IM them they don't get the window. Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,564 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 11:05 pm
I don't have WebTV per se, and I'm not that familiar with it. However, I do have an UltimateTV PVR/Satellite Receiver, which has WebTV as a feature (which, frankly, I've never used). Out of curiosity, I just went and connected through it, and searched all over without finding any way to implement any sort of chat or messaging client. I don't think WebTV supports Messenging, but I could be wrong. I know I couldn't figure out how to do it, whether or not its supported.

I've heard WebTV described as something which allows a user to VIEW the Internet, as opposed to a computer, which allows one to PARTICIPATE in the Internet. I've also heard AOL described in much the same way.

timber
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:42 am
WebTV is a pretty dumb client, but it does allow you to send/receive e-mail, and surf and manipulate websites such as A2K, plus you can even receive and print images. But it's not a PC by any stretch.

IM over WebTV may be impossible, but, as I noted before, when a WebTV user logs on, since it is part of MSN, the little avatar turns from red to green so I know the person is online.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 12:15 pm
I know that there have been Web TV IM programs but as you said it's pretty dumb.

When I design sites I give only minimal attention to webtv functionality.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 03:15 pm
I recently had the opportunity to fiddle around with my Dad's WebTV box. In the address book, it shows you if people are online or not, much like WM does, but I was unable to find any other IM functionality.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 04:08 pm
Hmm. I've never used WebTV but I just looked on the Web and I found a refernce that MSN Messenger was a part of the "WebTV Plus v2.5 Client" released in the summer of 2000.

I wasn't even aware that WebTV is now MSNTV but.. MSNTV does show the MSN Messager app on the MSNTV page as a part of the program..

http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/MSNTV/MSNTV_Services.asp
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 04:13 pm
We just got it working!!! WebTV must have upgraded his set top box because it didn't work before.
0 Replies