Ricky Gervais was hilarious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,703 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:42 pm
I didn't see it, no tv for x years, interested in hollywood and the world thereof for many years before that. So I read about this stuff. So far, I see that Ricky was a cur, or something. Good to see another opinion, that he was actually funny.

At least someone was more famous for a day than Angelina.

Ahem, this constitutes no pro or con for the Foreign Press Association and all.

Who knows, I might even like them, liking foreigners as I do.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
he made it clear before the show that he planned to never be asked back, gervais is the best, loved his introduction of bruce willis as ashton kutcher's father, and his travolta/cruise jab
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:59 pm
I'm just now getting RGervais is an atheist, via spendi in another thread. Well, hey, that adds pomp and splendor.
I suppose I'll have to check youtube.
djjd62

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
at the end of the show he took a jab at the folks who thank god, by thanking god for making him an atheist
ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:02 pm
@djjd62,
Oh, well, he's crucified, he might as well dance in the end zone.

(I'm not sure of that, that was just a cheap shot answer. Maybe atheists will start to murmur in public.)
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:45 pm
I thought he was very funny, too.
But tell me again, why was The Tourist in the running?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:39 pm
I watched/listened online at a site that someone recommended to the Tsar. I liked Ricky.

Loved Paul Giamatti.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:41 pm
I loved his jokes too. I think it's marvy when comedians skewer those that take themselves too seriously.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:50 am
Re: fashions
Shoulder pads were definately back . . .
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 08:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I didn't watch the show but after reading about how "brilliant" Ricky was by taking it to Hollywood I watched and didn't see anything clever, just mean-spirited. Being rude alone isn't funny, and the jokes were mostly just old recycled knocks on celebrities that weren't clever or even delivered very well.

But the bit that made it clear that Gervais is just a douche bag was about Steve Carell. Gervais can't seem to miss the opportunity to point out that Carell's greater fame was sparked by a role Gervais invented and can't help aggrandizing himself by insulting Carell by depicting him as riding his coattails. The irony is that Gervais himself is sore that Carell is quitting Gervais' show, and Carell's response was perfect in demonstrating that Gervais' gig is old (Gervais always avails himself of the opportunity to pout out that he created the show that made Carell famous) and unfunny (unless you are the type who think that merely upping the ante in insults makes for good humor).
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 08:33 am
@Robert Gentel,
Ricky Gervais was there for entertainment. I didnt realize that we are now about to pick up sides on this too.
Too much information Robt. I seem to feel that you dont appreciate Ricky Gervais too much.

I always liked Gervais Creation stand-up routine.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 09:13 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ricky Gervais was there for entertainment. I didnt realize that we are now about to pick up sides on this too.

I don't think he was entertaining and if you do or don't it's no skin off my back, I don't care if you "pick up sides" whatever that is supposed to mean.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 11:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
Being outrageous and causing nervous laughter isn't the same as being funny.

Now, it's possible for things to be uncomfortable and funny (witness The Office, which is all about being uncomfortable and funny), but I don't think this qualified. That's Ricky's shtick, but he fell short on this occasion.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:42 pm
This was the FIRST time (since Don Rickles) I've seen Hollywood celebs poked at such an event.
I thought it was hilarious.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:45 pm
the way i see it, there's no reason to watch an awards show unless something vaguely interesting is going to happen, it's a bunch of idiots reading lists, maybe once every few years someone makes an interesting speech, i love the fact that gervais smacked them around a bit

his intro of tim allen and tom hanks was great, and tim allen with his comeback, revealed something we all knew, he's not funny
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:48 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

I thought he was very funny, too.
But tell me again, why was The Tourist in the running?

"Michael Russell has brought this lawsuit in the hope that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association will take these problems seriously and change their practices," said Russell's lawyer Tim McGonigle on Friday.

The heart of the complaint was that HFPA members could receive compensation from film companies in return for lobbying for certain movies to be nominated for the awards.

"Journalists are supposed to be independent, and representing films to the members, that's a conflict of interest," he told AFP.

The 36-page legal document includes the allegations that "HFPA members abuse their positions and engage in unethical and potentially unlawful deals and arrangements which amount to a 'payola' scheme."

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:49 pm
and now i'm listening to the guys on opie & anthony discuss the award show, jim norton had a great line about diniro winning the CB deM award, he asked if he got it for not making a decent movie in the last decade
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:50 pm
@djjd62,
ha! De Niro said he must have been put up for the award before his current film had been released
0 Replies