The Solstice is Coming--have you decked your halls?

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:55 pm
On Monday morning at 2:04 EST the sun will be shining directly over the equator. The night between Sunday and Monday will be the longest of the year--cold and dark.

In order to convince the sun to turn around all houses should be decked with greenery. If you are particularly rushed, medium-healthy houseplants will do. Even a bit of interesting mold in the forgotten container in the back of the refrigerator shows a little hope for springtime.

Have you decked the halls? If not, why not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,282 • Replies: 24
No top replies

kirsten

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:17 pm
Yes, I've decked my halls, and I've been decked by the malls!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:20 pm
Could I use one of my favorite Tips From Quinn and spray paint the cobwebs? Green, of course.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:53 pm
Kirsten--

You'll feel better in the morning.

Roger--

Green-painted cobwebs are acceptable--unless they are left over from Halloween.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:07 pm
Winter Solstice (Solar Longitude..270.0deg) .. one of the most important date-time's of the year:
Dec 22, 2003 07h 03m 20s Greenwich Mean Time: 02h 03m 20s EST.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:12 pm
I just did this afternoon! Now I can say it was, like, purposeful!

Yeah.

I had a wreath, and a Christmas tree inside, and had chopped off a bunch of branches from the bottom of the tree for decorations, but hadn't used those yet, just did a bunch of stuff outside. Stuck boughs in windowboxes, that sort of thing. It's COLD out there. Whew.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 03:53 am
Yep, all taken care of:
-pottage of mixed grains
-heavy club to stun victim
-leather ligature to strangle victim
-handy bog to bury victim

Check, check, check, check - now all I need is the victim.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 05:46 am
??
0 Replies

Amelia

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 06:32 am
Thank you!

Now, I know what my husband can do today: trim the trees and bushes so we will have a properly prepared house for the new solstice.

Excellent.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 07:16 am
'Tis the yeares midnight and it is the dayes
Lucies, who scarce seaven houres herself unmaskes,
The Sunne is spent, and now his flasks
Send forth light squibs, no constant rayes
The worlds whole sap is sunke

from A Nocturnall upon S. Lucies Day
(the day of the winter solstice; according to the old calendar this was December 12/13th)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 08:06 am
(It was after 1300's that St. Lucy's day (Dec 13) happend to be the day of winter solstice. Around 1570~1600, winter solstice was on Dec 11/12 on Julian Calendar.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 08:32 am
I love St. Lucy, she's my patron saint. We both have bad eyes.

Mr.S - you forgot the charred bread.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 11:38 am
Me too.... this is weird! How are yours bad?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 12:03 pm
They look a little wilted now , and the dog took a large branch off of the plant yesterday, but I still have a cluster of roses blooming in my yard. All in all, I'd say it's pretty green around here.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 12:45 pm
I've just finished the last of my Christmas cleaning (dumb way to celebrate, but my mother taught me you must clean at least four times every year). My greenery (with memories) is arranged around the candle in the window and if the sun doesn't turn around tomorrow morning, I'm not responsible.

From the morning newspaper I learned that the Romans called the Winter Solstice the festival of Dies Invicti Solis, The Day of the Invincible Son. Obviously the Romans were not aware that the Invicible Sun needed help. Then the barbarians streamed over the Alps and Rome fell.

Mr. Stillwater-- Is a human sacrifice really necessary? Isn't your peat bog almost full by this time?

Happy Solstice, everyone.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 02:15 pm
I'm all set. The decorations outside look real nice covered with a bit of snow.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 04:06 pm
Clary -- My eyes ache a lot of the time, I need glasses for anything close and I have the beginnings of glaucoma, so I've had to take drops for three years. I have excellent far-off vision though, almost like having a pair of binoculars strapped on. How are yours?

Happy Solstice!

"O love, as summer goes,
I must be gone, steal forth with silent drums,
That you may hail anew the bird and rose
When I come back to you, as summer comes."
ESVM
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 05:42 pm
Clary wrote:
S. Lucies Day (the day of the winter solstice; according to the old calendar this was December 12/13th)

Oh, you mean the Christian Solstice celebrations!! I was thinking of the traditional Celtic celebrations to keep the order of things (Spring and the return of the sun) ticking over. Cheery people our ancestors. Just everything short of bringing the tree inside (Germanic) has been co-opted from earlier seasonal rituals.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 08:36 pm
Christian, Mr. Stillwater? Nay. I'm just distressed by overpopulation in the peat bogs. Besides, didn't the peat bogs freeze up in winter?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 10:57 pm
Quote:
Mr.S - you forgot the charred bread.

Quote:
Mr. Stillwater-- Is a human sacrifice really necessary?

Quote:
Christian, Mr. Stillwater?

Three volunteers already, that's what I love about this time of year - it brings out the community spirit. Better use the deep bog for this lot......
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Solstice is Coming--have you decked your halls?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 02:44:02