NY times story

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:45 am
I dont read the new york times so if you do... ?

Lets say you had to put together a story with photos for them.

What sells best?
What is most common?

What would you give them?

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:27 pm
@shewolfnm,
The New York Times has a near infinite range of news stories. Are you thinking of submitting one?

One: I'm sure the article or photographs can not be published elsewhere, at least according to the rules of the op-ed submission page:
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/opedsubmit.html

I suspect you might need an agent to submit a work (freelance) to the paper. Tailor it to one of the major departments: arts, book reviews, travel, etc....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:35 pm
Try writing a paper for the NYTimes magazine, published on Sunday.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:54 pm
@shewolfnm,
Have you been asked to submit something to them for consideration?

Other than the op-ed area, it's not that open to random submissions. The tsar is right about likely needing to go through an agent.

http://freelancewrite.about.com/
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 01:42 pm
@shewolfnm,
She's doing it for their new photography blog, I believe.

Shewolfie, I'll respond to your request on FB.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
And, yes, she got an invite to submit it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:34 am
yes.
this was a very direct , very blatant request.
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:58 am
if anyone is interested in the end result, I will post a link here . http://www.facebook.com/pages/Melissas-Photos/287311762112

if you have facebook, feel free to follow.

I still dont know what subject I will stop on, but I do have to make up my mind soon.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:59 am
@shewolfnm,
kudos, kiddo.

what is this facebook...?
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 11:21 am
@Rockhead,
that is my business page on facebook.

its just a small crowd, mostly friends, but i will put the story there Smile
ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:04 pm
@shewolfnm,
I'm not sure if you are totally adverse to reading the Times, or don't want to register, or what, but here's the Lens Blog (scroll down the page to see what others have submitted and been selected - titles you can click on and see the work -

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/

I don't know if you have to register to see it, as I've been registered there forever.
I don't do facebook, so don't know if you've already talked about this there.
sozobe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:23 pm
@shewolfnm,
What was the basis of being asked? Like, do you know what images of yours they've already seen that caused them to ask you? That would seem to give you some direction right there, if so.

Very very generally, as a daily subscriber to the NYT, I'd recommend probably slightly off-kilter images, that tell a story. The ones you did in the pool hall, that kind of thing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:54 pm
@ossobuco,
That's who invited her to submit the article. She posted links to it on Facebook a day or two ago and we're all watching for when she gets her piece published.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 09:28 pm
I have a few emails.

Everyone gets the initial " Hey thanks for posting"

got that

I got that when I submitted to Lens. What they are looking for right now are people under the age of 26. I dont qualify, but I sent in my blog and photos with the simple statment/idea of , hey ... do you have anything coming up that will match me? I can write for it to ..blahblahblah

Submit to lens. Get the auto " hey thanks letter"

24 hours later, my blog gets over 2000 hits

the very afternoon of that, I get THE email. She is very specific in photos, giving great detail. These were not just peeked at.
And sums it up saying that its best to submit PDF, and the story should have a few photos along with it..

Do I KNOW what the story will be for? No. It isnt like this is going to be front page news.
But they want something. Something from me and the buzz is big.
Im shaking half the time, in tears, I feel so intimidated yet , there is no hesitation. Does that make sense? I mean, its JUST a paper, im very realistic there... but.. its THAT paper. And it is offered to me simply from an offhand toss of my blog.

Anyway
I feel like i am losing opportunity taking the time to think.

I am thinking of hitting the austin night life. Showing.. recession signs? NON recession? Sorry. Austin was not hit that hard with it. In fact, we went the opposite.

Survival ? Survival of a frugal economy? We are attracting tons of.. well. yuppies. Under 30, high incomes, graduate degrees. They are coming here in droves.

But yet...... there are still buildings standing undone.
Contractors with no work
Homeless people are DOUBLE on the streets now. Part of that is strategy. Holiday times are the best times to pull out your sign. I used to make about 300 a day. I know that tactic.

Oh god.
do they LOOK into you and who you are when you submit ? Oh Jesus..
yeah.
I cant keep this train of thought going. I have to make a story and worry about **** later.

like editing
model releases
blah blah blah

I AM a nervous wreck. haha
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 09:38 pm
@shewolfnm,
You've got lots of folks in your corner. Just ask for the help you need/want with it.

By the way, I think you should submit something to Intel's Visual Life campaign too.

http://apps.facebook.com/intelvl-tm/

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 09:53 pm
@shewolfnm,
Sorry, I couldn't tell from your first post that you knew about that.

This is wonderful, wolfie.

Enjoy...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
i have thought about that too.

On FB , my friend Rob M .. ? works for PBS. I have done a photo session for them just recently.
we are really good friends...

and he .. pretty much 'gets me'
0 Replies