Does emptiness exist?

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:45 am
Is emptiness part of nothing ? can we consider non or nil nothing or a thing ?
can we see in emptiness ? is there a place around on earth consist emptiness ? is darkness empty ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,040 • Replies: 20
No top replies

north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:57 am
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

Is emptiness part of nothing ?

yes

Quote:
can we consider non or nil nothing or a thing ?

non or nil is a score in sports , the absence of a score

non or nil otherwise towards a thing , means absense of a physical thing , although the thing exists

Quote:
can we see in emptiness ? is there a place around on earth consist emptiness ? is darkness empty ?

none of the above
permoda12345

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:22 am
@north,
so how far is emptiness part of nothing ?
is absence of a score empty or nothing ?
so absence of physical things came from : nothing or emptiness ?or the whole thing is non .
north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:52 am
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

so how far is emptiness part of nothing ?

practible only
Quote:
is absence of a score empty or nothing ?

irrelevent

Quote:
so absence of physical things came from : nothing or emptiness ?or the whole thing is non .

not nothing , nothing begets nothing

emptiness does not imply nothing as the essence of that emptiness , only that something is not here and /or there

any something still does exist

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:28 am
@permoda12345,
You seem to want to play language games ( see Wittgenstein) with the concept of "existence". Once you realise that "existence" does not necessarily imply "physicality", only " contextual functionality", the game becomes futile.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:09 am
@fresco,
Would n´t you accept that "contextual functionality" addresses something real ?
(not necessarily material)
What else would be functional that it is not real ?
fresco

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:37 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
You are just shifting the focus from the word "existence" to the word "reality".
"Tree spirits" have social functionality in some cultures, as does "Allah", as does "childhood", as does "mental illness" etc, etc in others. Their "reality" consists in the fact that they consistently affect those social relationships which designate them as "things that matter". The fact that what we call "rocks" might matter to all cultures does not make them any more "real" since they may not matter at all to other species like ants.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:01 am
@fresco,
You did n´t get it Fresco...you see the FUNCTION is REAL or EXISTENT even if only in a given background, group, or situation...that in turn only means that there is a well defined TRUE extension, a segment to which the function REALLY apply´s and from which it does n´t apply any longer...lets say, from the boundary´s on, that function is transformed as re-converted info with different operational status and meaning thus algorithmic re-forming in a different goal set...that alone does n´t affect TRUTH in any sense !
0 Replies

G H

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:30 pm
@permoda12345,
Quote:
can we see in emptiness ?

Even if you did or could, that would be the brain's simulation of empty space, not the actual region foaming with virtual particles at the micro-level. Perhaps some meditating buddhist can achieve a state of complete absence of even the most random phenomenal blotch and worded thought, but that's another manifestation generated by the brain without even the live input of sensory data from either a commonsense world or the influences from a noumenal one.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:36 pm
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

Many of these questions strikes me as skitzophrenic questions.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:45 pm
@HexHammer,
If memory serves me the Maya symbol for zero (emptiness, nothing, space?) was the image of an empty seashell. Seems an appropriate choice to me. Within the shell there is something experienced as nothing-ness. But take away the shell and note that the same space which the shell previously enclosed is the same but now has none of the shape it had when it was the interior of a shell. Reminds me of the sides of a river that define or distinguish the river from the ocean toward which it flows.
HexHammer

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 08:07 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

If memory serves me the Maya symbol for zero (emptiness, nothing, space?) was the image of an empty seashell. Seems an appropriate choice to me. Within the shell there is something experienced as nothing-ness. But take away the shell and note that the same space which the shell previously enclosed is the same but now has none of the shape it had when it was the interior of a shell. Reminds me of the sides of a river that define or distinguish the river from the ocean toward which it flows.
You talk in many directions without making a distinct point.

I don't see where Mayan's really made anything useful to this discussion other than a symbol.

I think we have yet to discover any emptiness, and I feel it's a fool's errand to answer OP's questions, as they are more or less selfexplanatory, nor serve any purpose.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 07:29 pm
@HexHammer,
Apparently we lack resonance. My points seem clear to me, while your puzzlement puzzles me.
fresco

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:55 am
@JLNobody,
Smile
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 05:43 am
@HexHammer,
I'm pretty sure anything you do not think twice about HexHammer, appears "skitzophrenic" to you.
HexHammer

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 05:45 am
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:
I'm pretty sure anything you do not think twice about HexHammer, appears "skitzophrenic" to you.
Hehe, maybe.
0 Replies

north

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 02:25 pm

emptiness does exist , practably

an empty fridge or bank account ,
0 Replies

longfun

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:08 am
@permoda12345,
There is no line inbetween.
Emptiness is part of something, it is a lesser compact form of something or a higher density of nothing .
If true: it would make something pure interaction of properties, properties of nothing.
Simple proof:
you need a container of something to put nothing in.
If you don't have a container, you will be stuck with nothing and all its potential properties.
Sure you can put nothing into nothing,and imagine how the potential properties can be steered and interact and eventually emerge something able to observe something and contain nothing.
Enjoy
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:48 am
@longfun,
What is it that you'r smoking? It must be a very special blend...
longfun

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 03:47 am
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

I would disagree lol,
Emptiness is a lesser state of something, as a box being empty is still filled with air (air being something full of holes of apparent nothing)
You can turn this around and say that it is a state of nothing filled with holes of something. In case of air it would be the air molecule, but only if the space between molecules and it's parts are really empty (no radiation anything), but as their is space you can expect there to be something.
As result emptiness is more probable to be a sum of states of different something, emerging properties we call emptiness.
0 Replies