What is the scriptural reasoning behind the once save always saved belief?

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:13 am
Exactly as the title asks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,907 • Replies: 13
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 07:40 am
Why would anyone believe that we need to be "saved"?
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 07:51 am
@PUNKEY,
Depends on your belief system, terminology etc. You could turn this into an "is there a God" thread, but there are plenty of those. This question is for those that do believe.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 09:05 am
@Smileyrius,
Why do you consider that to be true? Did you read it or hear it someplace?
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:04 am
@Intrepid,
Personally, I cannot see it as a logical understanding, but it is a question that came up in a conversation with a colleague who couldnt find scriptures to back it up. I wondered if anyone here could help me with sources and understanding.
Miller

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:08 am
Saved from what?
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:23 am
@Miller,
From what I understand, It is the belief that once you have been "saved" by putting faith in Jesus, you are guaranteed your reward regardless of what you do from that point in your life short of becoming a satanic cultist. So it refers to being saved from receiving no reward, I guess.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:13 pm
It's being "saved" from the damnation of original sin. It requires you to sign your life over to Jesus Christ.

Now for some of us who don't see the credibility or usefulness or reality of "original sin," it's all for naught.

There is nothing in the bible that speaks to being "saved.'
Intrepid

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 03:23 am
@PUNKEY,
Obviously, you have not read the bible.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 03:24 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

From what I understand, It is the belief that once you have been "saved" by putting faith in Jesus, you are guaranteed your reward regardless of what you do from that point in your life short of becoming a satanic cultist. So it refers to being saved from receiving no reward, I guess.

Not true and you will not find reference to that.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 03:46 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

it is a question that came up in a conversation with a colleague who couldnt find scriptures to back it up. I wondered if anyone here could help me with sources and understanding.

Here's a link to some references. I don't understand it any more than you do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseverance_of_the_saints
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:39 am
@Oylok,
Thank you for the link my friend

Quote:
The Free Grace or non-traditional Calvinist doctrine has been espoused by Charles Stanley, Norman Geisler, Zane C. Hodges, Bill Bright, and others. This view, like the traditional Calvinist view, emphasizes that people are saved purely by an act of divine grace that does not depend at all on the deeds of the individual, and for that reason, advocates insist that nothing the person can do can affect his or her salvation.

Having looked at the scriptural sources, they appear to be overlooking the act of free will.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:02 am
@Smileyrius,
None of those "scriptural sources" indicate any scriptural reasoning for the original question. Also, Calvinist views are not scriptural evidence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 01:18 pm
Actually, the Bible states the contrary: ". . . let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall . . ." (1 Corinthians 10:12)
0 Replies