Are you tonedeaf? This test may prove you wrong.

Ceili

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:47 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/labuk/experiments/musicality/

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 7,453 • Replies: 23
No top replies

chai2

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 01:24 pm
The link doesn't work for me.

Pity, I'd like to have taken the test.

Do you have another link?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 01:29 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music

Try this, it's at the top of the page.
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:40 pm
@Ceili,
I'll have to try this at home. My entire family plays musical instruments except for me. I never had the opportunity so with all these musicians around, I've always wondered how I would have done if we'd had the money for me to pursue it in my youth.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:46 pm
@engineer,
Why don't you give it a try now anyway? I am pretty sure I am tone-deaf (not gonna register to BBC to take this test) but I am trying to pick up guitar right now. If I can make progress with no musical aptitude I think anyone can.
Ceili

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Can you tell if a song is sung off key?
The corresponding article states that all though many people were led to believe they are tone deaf, they aren't just a little slower on the uptake. It's just like girls being told they're no good in math and so on.
I think you'll be a fine guitarist. Malcolm Gladwell's research proves that if you put the time and effort into almost anything, you'll succeed.
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The second I posted I knew that someone would suggest this, mainly because it goes through my mind as well. Unfortunately, I have a house full of children and I use my personal time to focus either on my wife, my tennis game or A2K. Still I keep telling myself that one day...
Letty

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:21 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili, I have good relative pitch. Don't want to register, however, to take the test. The jazz boys used to call "tone deaf" tin ear. Razz

Perfect pitch is a true burden, because everything that is slightly off key is unpleasant.

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:34 pm
@Ceili,
Thanks. took the musicality test and confirmed what I'd guessed to be true - I have relative pitch. I prob'ly should've stuck with an instrument (had 2 yrs of reeds) or more voice lessons. I played some of the games there for 30 mins. Awesome link.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:05 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:

Perfect pitch is a true burden, because everything that is slightly off key is unpleasant.

I'll bet.

I doubt I'm tone deaf (will take the test at home), but if I am, well, maybe that's what makes music, to me, unpleasant (on the whole)

with exception of something like jazz (no offense letty), which I can only stand for about 2 seconds before I want to scream.

I have seriously thought that being in hell must be like being forced to listen to jazz.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:12 pm
@Ceili,
I want to take the test and don't want to take the test; don't mind registering with the bbc. I've always thought that I can tell off key notes - which is why I have always hated my own singing efforts. The last thing I'd do is annoy myself in the shower by singing..

I sang in the choir as a kid and I don't know why they didn't toss me out of the loft down to the pews, especially the time I sang a funeral mass alone. I hope the organist was extra loud..
On the other hand, I wasn't all that awful with the piano, taking lessons four years or more. Not saying I was great either, but I got a lot of pleasure out of it when I did practice.

In later life I had a friend who was a superb pianist, having studied with a famous teacher in Paris to be a concert pianist. He had trouble with performing before crowds, if I remember. But.. he had perfect pitch. I never sang around him... I didn't want to see a grown man barf at the sound of my voice. He ran a lab across the hall. Thinking, I never sang in the lab either. What a thought.. that would have probably caused the liquids in the flasks to swirl.

I've known people like that with drawing - uncanny hand eye coordination and sense of scale.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:50 pm
@Ceili,
Good lord, I am terrible at music! I scored low all around though it was 28% for emotional connection. I got less than 50% right in the "is it the right beat" section.....
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:58 pm
@engineer,
I hear ya, I'm picking up tennis right now as well, and barely have time for the guitar. If I had to choose between guitar and tennis I'd choose tennis too.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:04 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Can you tell if a song is sung off key?

Probably, but it may need to be much more off than for most.

Quote:
The corresponding article states that all though many people were led to believe they are tone deaf, they aren't just a little slower on the uptake. It's just like girls being told they're no good in math and so on.

Makes sense, but I do think there is such thing as innate musical ability and that I don't have as much of it as the average. I wasn't told I don't have it either, that wouldn't have convinced me.

Quote:
I think you'll be a fine guitarist. Malcolm Gladwell's research proves that if you put the time and effort into almost anything, you'll succeed.

Sure, if a deaf man can compose great music I'm sure it's possible. I'm not gonna let it stop me but I also think it won't be something I ever put enough time into to do more than just have a little fun.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 06:20 pm
I think my results are weird
Quote:
Enthusiasm 46%
Musical Perception 99%
Emotional Connection 41%
Social Creativity 22%
Musical Curiosity 49%

There the reverse of what I would have expected. I think I dropped big points on:
Enthusiasm: because I can imagine living without music - I have a very good imagination - and because I don't listen attentively, I listen while doing other things. Always. And because I don't spend much money (any more)
Emotional Connection: Because I almost always listen randomly rather than selecting for a particular mood
Social Creativity: fair call - not much opportunity or desire.
Musical Curiosity: Can't imagine how I didn't max out on this one - I listen to everything and anything.

For the record I can't imagine how I got 99% in musical perception either - I was a third rate bass player at best.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 06:47 pm
I'm out in left field, as my real date of birth may have been in error. ****, I may have been born in Hawaii. Not that I know of. Perhaps I filled in the wrong blank. Possible, but I'd be younger now than then.

We'll see. I don't have a lot of patience for this stuff.

Meantime, I'm fine with the Guardian and a bunch of others.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 08:24 pm
@Ceili,

Wow. That was depressing. I scored LOW on everything.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 08:25 pm
My musical family got a good laugh at my scores. On perception and creativity I got mediums, but that's about it. The other three were 10 or less.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 08:36 pm
I'll try again tomorrow. How can I not even take the test, she drones.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 08:45 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:
because everything that is slightly off key is unpleasant.

I find it positively crazy-making when things are just off key.
0 Replies