Gothic Literature: Is it still relevant or outdated and moldy?

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 09:53 pm
First: could someone give me a fair and well accepted and updated academic definition of the term Gothic literature? What are the limitations if any on the actual lead character? Must there always be a main female character endangered?

Is the genre relevant these days? Or does it have to evolve from it's generally accepted definition:
Quote:
( often initial capital letter ) being of a genre of contemporary fiction typically relating the experiences of an often ingenuous heroine imperiled, as at an old mansion, where she typically becomes involved with a stern or mysterious but attractive man.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gothic

One hears the term bandied about which covers movies and novels that far stretched beyond this very limited definition.

Is the Gothic genre of literature purely an escapist one? Is it antifeminist?

Who are your favorite Gothic writers: both contemporary or classic?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,742 • Replies: 5
No top replies

NickTheodorov

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 08:13 am
@tsarstepan,
ЦарьСтепан, тут похоже с образованностью проблемы
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 08:39 am
@NickTheodorov,
NickTheodorov wrote:

ЦарьСтепан, тут похоже с образованностью проблемы

Despite my username, I can't speak or read Russian.
NickTheodorov via Google Translate wrote:

KingStepan, there seems to be an education problem.

And to be honest? I can't remember what was the impetus behind posting this 8 year old thread. So? Your answer is an odd, particularly unhelpful one (not that it's a bad thing).
0 Replies

NickTheodorov

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 09:34 am
@tsarstepan,
Аватарку из московского метро прикрепили и русский забыли?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 09:49 am
@NickTheodorov,
NickTheodorov wrote:

Avatar from the Moscow subway attached and The Russian forgotten?

Nope. Just an odd coincidence. I just love this image (and its accompanying story) of stray dogs finding comfort in unusual places. IF you follow my activity? I'm a giant dog person (not giant dogs per se... though I love them too). I just love dogs. My avatar is one of my all time favorite photos.

My username comes from my first attempt act college in Massachusetts and falling in love with Russian History ... while being a History Major (for my first attempt at a BA in History). Nothing more exciting than that.

Never learned Russian because I never proceeded to get a history degree (Masters or higher). And I suck at learning foreign languages.
0 Replies

NickTheodorov

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 10:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Я всё же продолжу на русском, но перейду на "Вы". Вы написали про пух в ушах и подписались Винни-Пухом, это тоже совпадение?
0 Replies