kszabo

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 12:28 am
I have possession of a rare fossil. It is Araripelepidote from the Semianotiforms. I have done some research and comparison to others only by photos. As far as I can tell, it has not had anything done to it at all, it is original. It is the whole stone, professionally split and both sides of the fossil are without blemish and untouched. It's a magnificent 3-D specimen, approximately 16.5" x 5.5" in it's full effect. The so-called armor and scales are exquisite. I would like to know who can appraise it for me. Since it is banned, most museums will only tell me what it is, and the fact that they say they are not in the business of appraisal. Although, they have asked me to donate it. I know what one sold for, and mine looks just as good. I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,020 • Replies: 11

roger

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 02:09 am
@kszabo,
Can't help, but it is interesting to hear that a fossil has been banned. Any explanation?
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:39 am
It is worth $760.
kszabo

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:30 pm
@joefromchicago,
thanks, but how do you know what it is worth? the one i seen sold for a great deal more than that. do you know who i can take it to? thanks again.
kszabo

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:37 pm
@roger,
i'm not sure why there is a ban, but any export and selling has ben banned for over half a century.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:57 pm
@kszabo,
You understand that his answer in blue text is a link, don't you?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

What a bargain! But that's also the new price ... if it's used, there's probably some depreciation ...
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:11 pm
@Ticomaya,
You'll note that it's marked down from $950. Like a new car, the Araripelepidote loses about 20% of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot.
roger

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
Yeah! Seems like everything I buy is an antique, and everything I sell is just second hand.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 09:34 am
Up to now, this is the only Santana fossil I was aware of:

http://www.vegasnews.com/wp-content/uploads/5_27_09_santana_b_kabik-49-588.jpg
kszabo

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:36 pm
@joefromchicago,
i just looked at the link. that isn't mine, but it's nice to know. however, does it has the possibility of being worth more depending on the condition of it? this one in the link may have had some restoring done to it. thanks guys.
0 Replies

kszabo

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:41 pm
@joefromchicago,
very good. one of my favorite fossils.
0 Replies