Is Noah's arc meant to be a true story for christians?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 03:41 pm
@George,
What's the difference between an ark and an arc? LOL
hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 06:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
mmm 'k ?
http://images.gohastings.com/coverart/LRG/hastings/40213091922.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 06:50 pm
@hingehead,
mmm kay.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 06:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
What's the difference between an ark and an arc? LOL

Its a matter of degree
hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 07:14 pm
@farmerman,
I'm pretty sure I saw sines of the tangent pun earlier...
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 07:23 pm
@hingehead,
but your tangents ain't no pun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:11 pm
FM and Hingehead need to go sit in the corner.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:00 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

If God can create a whole universe I doubt he'd have a single problem getting the animals he wanted on the ark. God shut the mouths of the lions when Daniel was thrown in the lion's den. I think God could handle keeping those animals alive on the ark, don't you?

If there was a god omnipotent and omniscient enough to create the whole universe, why'd he have to erase 99.999% of his first try and start over again? If it was the humans' fault, why did 99.9999% of all the animals have to die, too? If there was a god with that much power and wisdom, couldn't he have found a way to straighten out that mess without killing all the innocent animals?

In a related question, why are there so many flood myths from that region of the world that pre-date the biblical tale? I thought everybody died except Noah and his clan.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 08:21 am
@FBM,
He can do anything he wants to and in any way he wants to. I don't always understand why God does something but I figure until I can create a universe, who am I to really question it?
Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 08:35 am
@Arella Mae,
Your remarks are predicated upon an assumption that there is a "god." Absent any good reason to believe that, there is no reason for anyone to accept your claims.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 09:07 am
@Setanta,
Um, yep and I'm not asking anyone to accept anything.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 10:31 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

He can do anything he wants to and in any way he wants to. I don't always understand why God does something but I figure until I can create a universe, who am I to really question it?

You are a complete conscious entity in your own right. You have an incredibly complex and competent mind that evolved over millions of years to answer questions and solve problems. You have the right to question anything you choose. Demand evidence. Real evidence. Not tradition or culture or appeals to authority or emotion. If you can't find real evidence, what's the rational conclusion? Belief? Disbelief? Suspension of judgement?

If you choose to believe despite lack of evidence, why? Examine your motives and I think you will be much wiser for it. "Know thyself". Best of luck and may you achieve lasting happiness in realizing things the way they are, as opposed to the way you wish things were because they make you feel better. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 10:36 am
@Setanta,
Most people who believes in any religion have similar beliefs that are without evidence. Since a good majority of humans believe in one religion or another, we can conclude that religion is normal for humans.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 10:48 am
Is Noah's arc meant to be a true story for christians?

It isn't intended to be a true story for Jews so why would it be meant to be true for Christians? Rabbi Hillel, one of the most revered rabbis of all time who lived in the first century CE, has a very famous quote about the Torah.

Quote:
1. Most famous perhaps is the incident which occurred before his rise to leadership, when he was not yet a scholar, but had a burning desire to study Torah. At that time, Torah study was tightly controlled and limited only to those of the highest caliber and to those who could pay for it. Hillel, working then as a woodchopper, did not have enough money to pay for entry into the Beit Midrash. On a freezing cold snowy day, he climbed onto the roof of the Study Hall, and lay at the "skylight" listening to the lecture, until he froze. When the scholars below observed his form above, they retrieved him, and changed the policy such that anyone who wished to study Torah could come in and do so.

2. A certain non-Jewish "wise-guy" came to scoff at the Torah, first to the home of Shammai, then to the home of Hillel. He said, "Teach me the Torah while I am standing on one foot." Shammai, sensing his true intention, had him thrown out forthwith. (From this story, probably mostly, Shammai has received the bad "rep" of being a short-tempered, person who "did not suffer fools" lightly. However, this is certainly not the case, since it is Shammai himself who teaches "Receive everyone with a smiling face.")

When the individual came to the home of Hillel with the same request, Hillel responded. "No problem! The main idea of the Torah is 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' Everything else is commentary. Now, if you're really interested, go and study the commentary." So impressed with Hillel's response, according to Jewish Tradition, was the visitor, that he took Hillel up on his instructions, began to study the Torah seriously, and became a Jew. Source

Matthew 7:12 says basically the same thing.
Quote:
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. NIV

One message in both religions. Be right with God; be right with your brother (we are all brothers). The rest is commentary.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 11:14 am
@JPB,
amen! If all followed that rule, that covers ethics and morals all wrapped into one guidance for living; that would include all religions.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That was what was supposed to be the point of religion, we just screwed it up.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:34 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Hey, we're talking about the arc, here. Let's not go off on a tangent.

Aw geez, good one

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 01:25 pm
@Smileyrius,
Humans have a the habit for making bad decisions all the time. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 09:10 pm
@tommot2002,
http://img3.visualizeus.com/thumbs/09/10/04/lolz-6651f4156d1a8c52640972f2632a9024_h.jpg
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 02:28 am
@hingehead,
that my friend is freaking hilarious.
0 Replies