On Teddy Roosevelt

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 01:46 pm
I would like to start another reading binge, this one's subject is Theodore Roosevelt. I would appreciate any suggestions on biographies, early politics, and domestic and foreign policy.

Thanks,

JM
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,577 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:14 pm
I have a good, recent biography at home, i'll try to remember to give the citation.

On another note, TR wrote The Rough Riders, The Naval War of 1812, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman, Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, and History as Literature. The last is a set of essays. He was no world class great author, but his work is interesting, his history is soundly based, and the essays are a view into his mind.

Good topic for your reading, Boss, now i just need to remember to give you the bio citation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:59 pm
Here ya go:

T.R.: The Last Romantic, H. W. Brands, Basic Books, New York, 1997.

It is relatively short, about 800 pages, and a sympathetic treatement without being a panegyric. If you decide to read it, i think you'll enjoy it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 05:26 pm
Both EDmund Morris books, "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt' and "T Rex" were both well written and well researched with lots of sources. Morris won the pulitzer for The Rise of Theodore roosevelt. I actually like Theordore Rex better, It was strait from the hip.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:19 pm
Great! Thanks farmerman the books and review are much appreciated.

Setanta: Thanks, other's books about the man are appreciated but his essay's provide that dimension not afforded elsewhere

Thanks to both of you guys!

JM
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:26 pm
Setanta:

Just curious, is that a grinch Santa hat on that one specific best friend of man?

JM
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:52 pm
Ive read some of his essays and earlier works on birds of the "boreal" forest. They were written in a really scholarly fashion while he was a kid at Harvard and they are very readable. He was a really gifted mind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:53 am
I'm more grinch-like, JM, than the dog portrayed, who is a hopeless canine love slut . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 08:19 am
However, (Im gonna jump here) I think he was ADD.
0 Replies