Packrats of the World Unite!

Noddy24

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:03 am
My birthday rose bouquet from my son and daughter-in-law finally withered. I consigned the roses to the compost tumbler, and thriftily coiled the ribbon to reuse someday.

I grew up in a house with an attic and a cellar and a mother who hoarded all manner of bits and pieces that might come in handy someday.

For example, for several years she saved the pressed purple mats that used to come in betwen layers of oranges.

I directed a production of Giraudoux's "The Madwoman of Chaillot". The pressed purple mats, stapled on the fronts of platforms, streaked with a little gray and sprinkled with a little glitter made an elegant Parisian basement set.

The metal handles from Chinese restaurant takeout containers have a multitude of uses.

Do you hoard oddiments? Empty boxes? Empty metal canisters? Bits of ribbon? Old upholstery samples? Useful nuts and bolts?

If so, do you use them? If not, why not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,217 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:17 am
I don't throw nuttin' out . . . i have to remind myself to check fer garbage an' throw that out, 'cause otherwise, i don't throw nuttin' out . . .
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:20 am
On the contrary, I am one of those who is frequently seen going through my own trash trying to recover something important that I've compulsively thrown away!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:22 am
I dream of having the Clean Sweep team come to my house to help me get rid of more stuff. I want to get rid of stuff - I saw something on one of those PBS begging week shows about throwing away (or donating to Goodwill) at least 3 things a day. I'm working on it, but progress is not visible yet. But it will be, dangitall!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:51 am
Puhleeze!- I have a fantasy that one day one of those open construction dumpsters will pull into my driveway. I will then throw out 95% of what I own. I would do some of that now, but if I started with my husband, the packrat, there would be hell to pay! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:56 am
Guilty. I have a problem letting go of certain things because I think they may be useful at another time. Just when I finally pitch an item, it seems I've finally found a use for it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:39 pm
Hubby is an anti-packrat, can't stand having useless stuff around. I have a more liberal definition of "useful" than he (those pressed purple mats came in handy, didn't they?) This caused some friction at the beginning of our relationship, but we've figured things out. I have come to appreciate the lean and mean household, he appreciates keeping things that might not have any specific use but are nonetheless nice to have. (We still have the rose he gave me when we met up after 6 months of separation in Paris, etc.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 01:12 pm
Obviously, opposites attract and True Love adapts.

Phoenix--

Most garbage hauling firms have dumpsters for hire. They get a lot of traffic from kids who are trying to close the Old Family Homestead (usually over their parents' dead bodies).
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 01:55 pm
Yep! Just like my dad, I came by it honestly I guess.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 02:36 pm
I have a vague notion that ancestral memories of The Great Depression may trigger the Pack Rat Syndrome in those sensitive to archtypal vibes.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 02:49 pm
Have a garage that a car has never been in.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 02:54 pm
Noddy, I had the remarkable experience of clearing out my mothers' apartment. She had lived there for almost thirty years but had utility bills from the 60's, already ten years old when she moved them. I could've used a small dumpster.

How many official junk drawers do you have in your home? Where are they?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 02:56 pm
Noddy, hold on to that domain. Don't you dare toss it. Very Happy

I'm afraid that my husband is a pack rat, too. He save slips of paper. Rolling Eyes

I don't mind throwing stuff away, it's just going through it all that I dread.

We moved several times in Virginia, and I lost things very dear to me.

A letter from Hubert Humphrey--A photograph of me in the hospital with my first born.

My brother-in-law had a junk drawer and I cleaned it out when I was visiting. I thought that I had done something marvelous. I was just a kid. He threw a fit, saying." Whenever I lost something, I could always count on it to be in that junk drawer."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:08 pm
eoe wrote:
How many official junk drawers do you have in your home? Where are they?

None.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:15 pm
None here, either. We do have, however, what my husband calls "the closet of sadness." It is where things migrate when they don't really have anyplace else to go, and it's well kinda full. The closet of sadness is usually the objects' last stopping place before going bye-bye forever.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:29 pm
I know what you mean, soz. Here, it's the "Last Chance Garage." When it gets full enough, we have a garage sale & donate the leftovers to charity.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:58 pm
i bet i'm the worst pack rat on this site. at one point in time i wasn't 'allowed' to go to the dump alone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:59 pm
So it's a competition, is it now?
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 07:34 pm
no competition, just a disaster,,,,
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:42 pm
the key to success as a pack rat is to describe yourself as a collector. people appreciate collectors.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Packrats of the World Unite!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:50:29