Music Notes

maerae

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:43 am
Does Cm represent Cminor or major?
Is a C# the same as a Cm or would Cb be Cm?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 646 • Replies: 3
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:26 am
"Cm" represents a minor chord. Generally "C" major would be represented with just "C". "C#" is a major chord unless it is played as "C#m" and "Cb" a major chord, unless it is played as "Cbm". Does this help? Is this the answer you were looking for?
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:52 am
Hey maera...To expound on what colorbook said. Cb and C# are both notes just like C is a note. On a piano, locate a C and the black key just to the right of it is a C# and the black key just to the left is a Cb. The term minor and major do not apply at this point. Whenever you see minor or major next to a note, whether it be Cb, C# or just C, you know it's referring to a chord (a collection of notes played simultaneoulsy). If you see 'Cm', that means that the root of the chord, or for all intents and purposes the first note of the chord, is a C, but the other notes that are played in that chord are going to reflect a minor progression. An exlanation of how a minor chord is built is a little more complex, but I hope you get the idea.

So, like colorbook said, if you see C#m, you know that the root, or first note of the chord is going to be a C# and the rest of the notes in the chord will reflect a minor position.

I hope I didn't complicate matters. If so, let me know and I'll try and explain it better.
0 Replies

maerae

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:33 am
Music & Notes
Thanks for your answers. They really cleared things up for me.
0 Replies