• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,101 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:24 am
@usmankhalid665,
OK, first an English lesson: Why is religion important to people? Do you see the differences?

Now, the question you ask is very nebulous (cloud-like, imprecise), although i'm sure that was not your intent. There are a great many reasons, and the answers will be conditioned by the religious, or areligious, or anti-religious attitudes of whoever responds. I would suggest that for most people who are religiously inclined, the attraction is that it provides answers to troubling questions (even if the answers are not sterling examples of logical reasoning), and it holds out the hope that life is not a futile exercise ending in oblivion.
wayne

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:00 am
There is a difference between religion and spirituality. Religion provides a certain social security for people as well as a standardized belief.
I personally feel that the god question should be a personal quest. That way it's less likely to become something you've gotta force on others.
0 Replies

sunyata

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 03:31 am
@usmankhalid665,
in some cases it's not.
some are raised, conditioned to view it in high esteem.
4 some it provides answers, a solution to all problems without having to work hard 4 answers.
some for social reasons, it helps 1 to fit in, psychological reasons. it helps one to feel emotive responses that they enjoy, like a moth enjoys light.
some people are attached to their beliefs for they identify with it. they think it is "i" who is thinking.

overall it's motivated by inner weakness... fetters.
0 Replies

sunyata

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 03:33 am
@Setanta,
his useage is correct to it expresses a slightly diff meaning. his terminology points to a relative sentiment
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 04:58 am
@sunyata,
Your English is very poor. You obviously don't understand the nuance in my response to him.
sunyata

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 05:07 am
@Setanta,
my english is poor but my logic is superior than yours.

what you said was a non sequitur and an appeal to faith based claim.
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 05:15 am
@sunyata,
No, it was not "an appeal to faith based claim" [sic]--i don't, in fact, have any religious faith. Your "logic" doesn't enter into this at all, and you postings don't suggest to me that you even employ logic. My response was not only not a non sequitur, it was germane to what the OP seemed to be asking.
sunyata

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 04:07 pm
@Setanta,
when u say obviously it implies a self evident claim i.e. take it on faith.
your reply i don't, in fact, have any religious faith. is a misunderstanding the fallacy of self evident claim thus i infer your not accustomed to rational thought. it was related to the subject thats not in question but what is, is ur irrational thought.
how can the illogical discern that which is logic especially if he does not know what it is?
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 04:36 pm
@sunyata,
You claim to be logical, and that's hilarious. I used obviously, which does not for a moment refer to taking anything on faith, in reference to your poor understanding of English. Try to keep a coherent argument here.
sunyata

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 04:53 pm
@Setanta,
I used obviously, which does not for a moment refer to taking anything on faith. (begging the question) unsupported claim
in reference to your poor understanding of English. Try to keep a coherent argument here (ad hominem)
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 05:02 pm
@sunyata,
You just throw around terms with which you are obviously not familiar. Saying that "obviously" does not refer to taking anything on faith begs no question. Get a dictionary, it will help you immensely. Saying that you should try to keep a coherent argument is not an argumentum ad hominem, because you are not presenting a coherent argument. You may not like to hear that, but it's not an argumentum ad hominem to point that out. The best way for your to deal with that, is to keep a coherent train of thought in this discussion, something you have not been doing so far.

Having a list of logical fallacies, and flinging them out into a discussion as though they were tokens in a board game shows neither rhetorical ability, nor logical ability.
sunyata

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 05:17 pm
@Setanta,
You just throw around terms with which you are obviously not familiar.
self evident fallacy.
because you are not presenting a coherent argument.
self evident fallacy
something you have not been doing so far.
self evident fallacy
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 05:37 pm
@sunyata,
You are not worth talking to--you speak of "self-evident fallacies, but are not able to name them, or demonstrate their use. I'm done with you, Bubba.
sunyata

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 05:41 pm
@Setanta,
but are not able to name them, or demonstrate their use..
i did look up the post above as for demonstration

Logical Fallacies errors in logic/faulty reasoning

Self evident truth any statement that clains to need no definition or proof
-it goes without saying
-there's no doubt that
-it's obvious that
difficult to recognize if you agree
0 Replies