CAPS LOCK OFF --FOR GOOD?

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:33 am
THE END IS NIGH. That's the message Google sent last week when it unveiled its new laptop, the Google Cr-48 notebook. The computer has all kinds of new features—Chrome OS, a simplified design, and free broadband. But perhaps the boldest change is Google's decision to ditch the Caps Lock key. In its place is a Search button, denoted with the image of a magnifying glass. Users can still designate the search key as the Caps Lock—they just have to take the time to change a few settings. But the default is that if you want capital letters, you have to hold down Shift.

More....

Speaking for myself, I find caps lock to be quite useful. Titles and section headings in pleadings are always capitalized. Holding the shift key down while typing these long headings would be a pain in the neck. So I say to Google: "you'll get my caps lock key when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,335 • Replies: 18

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:36 am
@joefromchicago,
Google does hardware?

Who knew?

As to ditching the caps lock key in favor of a search key -- I'm thinking I would rather have the caps lock key, but that could just be my aversion to change talking. I'm going to go out on a big limb here and guess that the search button defaults to google as the search engine. It can be reprogrammed back to caps lock, but how about other search engines?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:38 am
i rarely use caps unless I'm copy/pasting
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:14 am
Eh . . . no big deal. I learned to type on a manual typewriter--there was a shift lock, but not a caps lock. I never really got used to it, and at times it annoys me. In fact, i learned the trick of touch-typing the entire keyboard while holding down the shift key with my smallest fingers. I wouldn't miss it. A search key would be OK, although i suspect it automatically takes you to Google.
JPB

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:33 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
...on a manual typewriter--there was a shift lock, but not a caps lock

Is there a difference?
chai2

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:36 am
I DON'T THINK TAKING THE CAPS LOCK OF IS A VERY GOOD IDEA. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO SEND MESSAGES AND TALK TO PEOPLE AND STUFF IF WE DON'T HAVE CAPS LOCKS ON???!!!

IN FACT I THINK THEY SHOULD MAKE IT THAT IF YOU TYPING NORMALLY WITH YOUR CAP LOCKS ON, IF YOU TYPE 111111, IT SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY COME OUT AS !!!!!!

I HATE HAVING TO HOLD THAT SHIFT KEY DOWN TO MAKE !!!!!'S

JUST MY 2 SCENTS.

HAHAHA GET IT???? THAT WAS A JOKE!!!!

MUCH FUNNIER WITH CAPS LOCKS ON.

THANKS CAPS LOCK.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:41 am
@JPB,
THIS IS WITH THE CAPS LOCK ON. IF I TYPE NUMBER KEYS THEY COME OUT 12345...

THIS IS WITH THE SHIFT KEY "LOCKED"> THE NUMBER KEYS COME OUT !@#$%<<<

Of course, there's a difference J!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:42 am

unfortunately i need caps lock for work -- drawing text has to be upper case, otherwise i wouldn't miss it a bit...
0 Replies

Setanta

@JPB,
Yes . . . see Chai's post. With caps lock: HAHAHAHAHA11111

With shift lock: HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Get it?
joefromchicago

@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
...on a manual typewriter--there was a shift lock, but not a caps lock

Is there a difference?

Shift lock: everything is shifted, including special characters. So, e.g., if you press 8, you get *.

Caps lock: only letter keys are shifted. So, e.g., if you press 8, you get 8.

edit: I see you figured that out.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:43 am
I miss shift lock...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:44 am
@Setanta,
Yep, yep, yep... I never gave it any thought before.
chai2

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:45 am
@JPB,
WELL THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:46 am
When i was a small boy, my grandfather (a railroad station master and telegrapher) would take a piece of yellow flimsy, put it in the conductor's typewriter, put on the shift lock, and make pictures for me by rotating the yellow flimsy as he typed the symbols.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:47 am
I'm sure the geektelligentsia at Google meant well, but I fear they have a very limited worldview. A keyboard isn't just there to type e-mail or tweats. People in the real world actually need to use all caps for something other than shouting in internet forums. It's like the automatic formatting in MS Word, which clearly was programmed by some tech nerd who didn't have a very good grasp of the English language. These companies who are telling us how to write need to hire somebody who has, you know, actually written something.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:52 am
I once contacted a customer service representative about a problem i was having with an accounting program (which i won't name). I explained to him what i wanted to do, that the program wasn't playing nice, and asked for a "work-around." His response was: "Why would you want to do that?" I asked him to connect me either to his supervisor, or an actual accountant.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:00 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Holding the shift key down while typing these long headings would be a pain in the neck.

If you mean pain in the outstretched pinky the I agree with you.

The loss of the CAPS LOCK key is a pain in the pinkey! Mad That's how I hit the shift key when I'm typing in CAPITALS for short typing bursts when needing capitalization but for long titles, the cap lock button is well appreciated.
Irishk

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rro/lowres/rron794l.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 02:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I once contacted a customer service representative about a problem i was having with an accounting program (which i won't name). I explained to him what i wanted to do, that the program wasn't playing nice, and asked for a "work-around." His response was: "Why would you want to do that?" I asked him to connect me either to his supervisor, or an actual accountant.

Well, at least you didn't ask him for a "reach-around"
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » CAPS LOCK OFF --FOR GOOD?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 08:48:28