childhood memories shattered

ragnel

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:36 pm
Some time ago, I came across this post in a thread about the big V -
dlowan Sun 9 Mar, 2003 03:31 pm
Quote:
Hmmm - well, I would buy the weeniest jar you could find.

I would take it home. I would either put a tiny scraping of it on hot, buttered toast, and see if you like it - more on if you do - OR - do you have little whole grain biscuits over there, with little holes? - wecall them "vitaweets" - you put butter on these, then vegemite - make a sandwich of two of them - squeeze them together until the butter and vegemite make little worms through the holes - then consume.

Naturally, memories of many Vegemite worm feasts in earlier years frolicked through my mind. I hadn't had a vitaweat in years - if memory serves I think I scratched the inside of my cheek on a particularly hard, sharp piece I had bitten off and the Vegemite stung.

These days I do my grocery shopping through an on-line supermarket, and last week, when looking through the 'Crackers' listing I came across 'Vitaweats'. Deb's comment came to mind and, ignoring my usual determination not to regress to childhood just yet, I added a packet to my cart.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear!

Where they used to be rectangular in shape and hard enough to crack your teeth on (the fear of which added so much to the enjoyment of eating them), they have become a rounded, almost wafer-thin, obnoxiously pc imitation of a water cracker. The holes are so tiny I would defy the skinniest, microbic excuse for a worm to make its way through!

You put your butter and Vegemite on the cracker, add another as a lid, squeeze them together and voila - you have a handful of crumbled muck. I can remember when we really wanted to be fancy, a slice of softish cheese went into the process - ooh that resulted in really big, fat, juicy worms - now you would have no hope!

I feel sorry for the kids of today. The 'new deal' is such a poor replacement.
Rolling Eyes

Have you discovered something that was so great when you were a child and is now so poor? Love to hear about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,591 • Replies: 4
No top replies

iamzandra

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 02:30 am
@ragnel,
Yes, but not in the same way. Our whole culdesac and the one down the street (although I'd usually just hop the fence) loved shasta brand soda. We'd guzzle it like a dying man does water. But then we moved nearer to my parents (I lived with my grandma about a hundred miles away from them) and into their house, and got name brands... hadn't had a shasta in years and years, then I got one out of nostalgia. It tasted the same as I remembered it, but after having name brands for so long, I realized that it was really really gross. XD
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 02:38 am
@ragnel,
That is so sad.

I remember bubble gum. I mean, a penny apiece and you had to practically dislocate your jaw to chew it. I found some not long ago, and just for old time's sake. . . . Anyhow, two bites and it was gone. I guess back when I was a kid, they didn't know how to plump up 1/3 piece with 2/3 pieces of air. Wasn't enough to bother with.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 02:46 am
@ragnel,
HONEY...YOU GOT FOOLED BY A NEW VITAWEATY THING. tHE OLD ONES ARE STILL THERE...AS ARE SANDWICH SIZE ONES.

Damn... caps lock on, sorry.

Just be careful when you buy them next time and make sure you get the ones you want.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 03:16 am
Grape Nuts . . . loved 'em as a kid, now they're not worth the powder to blow 'em to hell . . .
0 Replies