Job hunting? Why is being bilingual a must not a plus?

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 05:05 pm
I live in south Florida, and when looking for employment I find bilingual is a must! not a plus but a must! I find it discriminatory to have to speak a foreign language in my own country. Is that even legal? I feel English should be a must and bilingual should be a plus! Should we boycott companies who are catalyst to this issue?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,303 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 05:58 pm
@prettyfarr,
Let's see this from a different direction - so try this scenario out: 75% of your store's clientelle is Spanish-speaking and all of your clerks know no Spanish.

What's the bottom line as far as hiring clerks that help keep you in business?

I have no interest in boycotting a business for the reasons you suggest.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 06:03 pm
@prettyfarr,
Boycotting them isn't going to do much good since you would be a minority of customers.

If 40% of potential customers speak Spanish and 70% speak English (A certain number are bilingual) don't you think a business that caters to both languages has a larger customer base?

It isn't discriminatory unless you want the government to tell people how to run their business.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 06:07 pm
@prettyfarr,
If the employer can show that a qualification is legitimately job related, it's probably not illegal
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 06:47 pm
@prettyfarr,
Sounds like you need to learn at least one more language if you plan to stay in South Florida and be employed in a free market.

Boycott ém. They probably don't even need to bother with customers who think the way you do.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 07:29 pm
I live in south FL (Sarasota). I see all English speaking stores here. Not saying I don't see a problem. You must be in Miami.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 07:32 pm
@prettyfarr,
If you feel that way, why don't you move to Arizona? They are pretty backwards there, you would probably feel right at home.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:11 pm
@prettyfarr,
prettyfarr wrote:

I live in south Florida, and when looking for employment I find bilingual is a must! not a plus but a must! I find it discriminatory to have to speak a foreign language in my own country. Is that even legal? I feel English should be a must and bilingual should be a plus! Should we boycott companies who are catalyst to this issue?

You're making it sound like all jobs require speaking 2 languages.

I know that's not true.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:12 pm
@prettyfarr,
If I were the employer you were applying for and you told me this in the interview, I'd just stand up and thank you for your time before heading out. I wouldn't want an employee with that attitude anywhere near the customers who might require help in a second language to better understand the details about a product or transaction with the store; especially in an internationally known tourist area as Florida.

If you've ever traveled to other countries, did you insist the clerks in the shops you visited speak only in their native language to you, or did you ask and expect that someone in the store be able to help you in English?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
If everyone who only speaks English boycotts a business, they won't need bilingual employees. It might even save them money.

0 Replies