Good Sciences Colleges with Music Programs

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:24 pm
My oldest son, a junior in high school, is very accomplished in math and science, but also in piano and violin. He wants to pursue the sciences (or engineering!) but also wants to look a music minor. The local state university has an extremely well regarded engineering program, but no music program whatever. Anyone know some good schools that offer both? My first attempt at an Internet search was a failure. (I didn't even know there was such thing as music engineering!) I'm going to hit it again, but I thought some of you might have some experience.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 7,228 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:36 pm
The first school that comes to my mind is the University of Illinois.
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:43 pm
@Setanta,
Drexel U in Philly is a great engineering school and the Curtis institute is right nearby. No reason they have to be the same institution. Most colleges will allow duplicate program schedules at equivalent institutions, especially if those institutions specialize.

Juilliard and Columbia.

Penn State has a great "band program" and is an excellent engineering school

Rice has both too( if he likes hot)

I would like to put in a mention re where I was, Tulane U has both schools and its in NEW ORLEANS man.
boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:21 pm
Doesn't it depend on what kind of engineering he's thinking about doing?

The University of Tulsa has a great engineering school and is considered one of the premiere schools for petroleum engineering. It has a good music school too.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:21 pm
@Setanta,
I thought of the same school. I also thought of Indiana University.

Another possibility might be to find a school that is part of a consortium.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:23 pm
Re: music engineering. I had a friend who was an acoustical engineer. Very cool job. He went to Princeton.
talk72000

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:24 pm
@engineer,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_university_schools_of_music_in_the_United_States

http://www.justcolleges.com/us/us_musiccolleges.phtml
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:26 pm
Cornell, Illinois Wesleyan, Emory, Reed College, Smith College, St. Olaf, Cal-Berkeley, UCLA, Univ. of Washington, and Williams College appear on both this science list and this music list. On that science list, I can also state that the Univ. of Michigan and Indiana Univ. have excellent music schools (although Indiana is more noted for its vocal music than instrumental).
talk72000

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:27 pm
@boomerang,
That is about sound and noise. Instruments: silencers, audiometric rooms, mufflers.
boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:29 pm
@talk72000,
He designed recording studios.
talk72000

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:31 pm
@boomerang,
That is a huge audiometric (keeps sound out) room with good acoustics. The sound is kept in.
engineer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:00 pm
@farmerman,
Tulane canceled all of it's engineering programs after Katrina except Chem and Bio Chem. I was stunned that the only school offering Electrical, Mechanical and Civil engineering in the most damaged city in the country dropped the programs. If the oil industry didn't send so much money their way, they would have dropped Chem Engineering also. When were you there?
engineer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:02 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Doesn't it depend on what kind of engineering he's thinking about doing?

Absolutely, but I don't think he's locked on to one field yet. We're early in this process. I'm bummed that the great state school NC State which is very affordable is not coming through and even at UNC, the music program is just ok. Duke has a nice program, but limited sciences and lots of tuition.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:04 pm
@joefromchicago,
That's been the approach I've been using also, trying to generate two lists and looking at commonalities. Michigan seems like a hit. It seems like outside North Carolina big state schools have at least a decent music program.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:42 pm
@engineer,
I began my teaching career there in the late 70's. It was a mecca for science engineering and the arts (Look up the Newcomb College curricula in arts). I have not followed the demise of some programs after Katrina but Im surprised that civil andmechanical engineering has been dropped what with the oil boomlets. I suppose much of the big time oil field work is taught at the TExas SChools (U of T and Rice and A&M).

I am surprised that theyve dropped the Music SCiences and Engineering multidiscipline program at Tulane. I still had it listed in last years catalog .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:45 pm
@talk72000,
Eeeerrrr......

I may actually be just a wee bit brighter than you think I am.

I know what "acoustics" means.

It just seemed to me that a person who has an interest in both music and engineering might think that acoustical engineering would be a valid career option. That is why I suggested it.

plainoldme

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:11 pm
@joefromchicago,
His son can't go to Smith.

Rensselaer is a highly regarded science and engineering school that offers a minor in music.

What about attending school in Boston? Engineering and music abound there.
engineer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 07:39 am
@plainoldme,
He's expressed some interest in RPI before, so I'll have to point that one out to him. Do you have a specific Boston school in mind? I think MIT has a music program and I think they have decent science and engineering programs as well. Smile
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 10:22 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

His son can't go to Smith.

He can if he really wanted to.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 10:50 am
@engineer,
BU offers both engineering and music. I am not necessarily a BU fan, however.
0 Replies