What is the best charity to donate to?

jeff37

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 01:10 pm
I'd like to start a thread about effective donating. There are huge differences between the organizations. The decision which organization you donate to makes a much bigger difference than the decision to donate at all. So it's worth spending some time and attention on it.

Here is a quote from a websites that tried to explore this a bit further:
“Your choice of charity is very important. By choosing carefully you can get much more impact from your donation and thereby help many more people. Indeed, it is not even a matter of some charities being 10 or 100 times as effective: even restricted to the field of health programs in developing countries, research shows that some are up to 10,000 times as effective as others.“

What is your favourite organization?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,113 • Replies: 7
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 01:41 pm
@jeff37,
A charity whose beneficiary/beneficiaries suit your world view, your personal interest and your own goals is your natural choice.
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 01:42 pm
The best charity to donate to? Yourself.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 03:42 pm
@jeff37,
I used to buy and give a lot of clothes to NAHA, a native American organization... They give an estimate of value, and if that fits the irs standards that would be over 13 dollars a pound, and they are highly rated... Never had a problem yet with their receipts or deductions, and I have given them thousands of pounds of clothing over the years... Been too busy this year though..
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 03:51 pm
I give to our local outreach center that supplies food and clothing for families in need. I give to the Salvation Army, local chapter. And I give to those agencies that send stickers - IF I use them. I also give the paper delivery persons tips, my hairdresser and the staff at my mother's nursing home.

Note: did you know that those very large salaries paid to charity CEO's are NOT considered administration costs? That's why they can say 97% program, 3% administration. In a charity, the staff costs are considered a part of the program costs, since it takes staff to run the programs. Just an FYI. GuideStar will let you look at most agency IRS filings - Form 990.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 04:06 pm
@jeff37,
jeff37 wrote:
I'd like to start a thread about effective donating. There are huge differences between the organizations. The decision which organization you donate to makes a much bigger difference than the decision to donate at all. So it's worth spending some time and attention on it.

Here is a quote from a websites that tried to explore this a bit further:
“Your choice of charity is very important. By choosing carefully you can get much more impact from your donation and thereby help many more people. Indeed, it is not even a matter of some charities being 10 or 100 times as effective: even restricted to the field of health programs in developing countries, research shows that some are up to 10,000 times as effective as others.“

What is your favourite organization?
The National Rifle Association is the best.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 04:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
Historically, the Salvation Army has been one of the very best in terms of donations being passed along to the final receiptiants.
jeff37

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 04:29 pm
@roger,
Does anyone know Edit [Moderator]: Link removed? They try to compare charities to find the best ones.
0 Replies