The Other Self

RexRed

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:27 am
What or who is "the self"? It seems we are a biological species and our biology is comprised of organs (or organisms) that live within us. We have biological clocks and even atomic clocks embedded into our minds to tell us when to do things. We have a stomach and chemicals to tell us when we are hungry. Is there another person or self inside trying to run things? Is there a ghost or phantom in the machine? Where do inspirations, visions, dreams, ideas, realization and learning etc. come from?

Are our minds connected through these organisms, i.e. stomach, eyes, ears, bones and every working part of our anatomy, (the bacteria in our brains) are these organs communicating with a higher and/or lower self, and our mind?

How does the restlessness of the heart compare to the ideologies of the mind? Where within that gamut of speculation does the self exist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,242 • Replies: 17
No top replies

RonCdeWeijze

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:56 am
@RexRed,
This is how I see it and correct me if I am wrong:

The self in reality (objectively the subjective), is the content of your or the other's intuition of-, not (yet) having metabolized your or the other's realization of reality (subjectively the objective).
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:09 am
@RexRed,
Call me a hardcore modernist, but I think most of the things - learning, dreams, ideas, etc., can be explained by neurobiology to a great extent.

"Self", I guess then, is all of it combined.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:19 am
@RexRed,
The self is our mental essence,
as distinct from our deciduous bodies
that molt off when thay wear out.

Occasionally, the self (i.e., consciousness) leaves the human body.

David
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:34 am
David wrote:

I've witnessed it happening to some, permanently...
RonCdeWeijze

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:39 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
David wrote:
I've witnessed it happening to some, permanently...

Isn't that depersonalization? OTOH we need to watch out for derealization.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:40 am
@Francis,
undisputed
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:42 am
@RonCdeWeijze,
As a matter of fact, I've witnessed both...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:55 am
@RexRed,
There have been many threads on this forum regarding "self" and there are several current.

Opinions range from "self is an illusion" (holistic consciousness) through "self as a social construction evoked by language" to "self as a committee". Rhetorical issues range from the distinction between "self and self awareness",through to the transcendence of "self" to "Self" (capital "S") versus the transcendent "dissipation of self". And on top of this we have ontological and epistemological issues of "existence" and "being".

To sum up, any short or definitive answer on the subject is almost certain to be vacuous.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:14 am

Anyone who has had an out-of-body experience
(death-related or in good human health) knows that self can leave the body.

David
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:17 am
I feel like a quote out of context
Withholding the rest
So I can be for you what you want to see

I got the gesture and sound
Got the timing down
It's uncanny, yeah, you think it was me

Do you think I should take a class
To lose my southern accent
Did I make me up
Or make the face till it stuck
I do the best imitation of myself

The "problem with you" speech
You gave me was fine
I liked the theories about my little stage

And I swore I was listening
But I started drifting
Around the part about me acting my age

Now if it's all the same
I've people to entertain
I juggle one handed
Do some magic tricks and
The best imitation of myself

Maybe I'm thinking myself in a hole
Wondering, who I am when I ought to know
Straighten up now time to go
Fool somebody else
Fool somebody else

Last night I was east with them
And west within
Trying to be for you what you wanna see

But I can't help it with you
The good and bad comes through
Don't want you hanging out with no one but me

Now if it's all the same
It comes from the same place
And if my mind's somewhere else
You won't be able to tell
I do the best imitation of myself

Yes it's uncanny to see
You'd really think it was me

Ben Folds
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 12:32 pm
@spidergal,
Yes neurology is much like a river it has its main arteries that connect out in to the minute capillaries. Yes this river is carrying the spark of light an electrical impulse that is much like the same as the energy that radiates from the sun.

This energy from the sun is a river also that flows out into the biology and matter of this universe. This river is theoretically connected to the over mind of all life.

As the nerve impulse sends a signal from the tip of the finger to the brain the collective consciousness is connected back through the sun and to the over mind.

The vitamins, minerals and DNA are conduits to the river that is connected through sunshine and our own nerve impulses and the architecture of the mind is prone to providing us with the idea of an external presence.

The entire bridge to the divine is there and it requires only that we cross it and reach the other side.

Sunshine is much like a spaghetti monster... neutrinos pass through the earth in fractions of second and an entire array of light is emanated in spectrum that is perfectly adaptable by life.

Sun flairs and such provide magnetism in mass and this magnetism provides the equilibrium and flow that is between human consciousness and divine consciousness. The sun and light are surely involved on the way a divine being might interact with life.

Words make up sentences as sub atomic particles form to make up matter.
Thoughts and light are interlinked and the are uploaded to the over mind by neutrinos and even smaller forms of matter and energy.

The river is there and it is only logical to think there is a river bank and land on the other side of the stream or that the stream flows out into an ocean or that the ocean originates from a divine beginning or enlightenment.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:58 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
What or who is "the self"?
He is the true, living essence of YOUness.

RexRed wrote:
It seems we are a biological species and our biology is comprised of organs (or organisms) that live within us.
We have biological clocks and even atomic clocks embedded into our minds
to tell us when to do things. We have a stomach and chemicals to tell us
when we are hungry. Is there another person or self inside trying to run things?
Is there a ghost or phantom in the machine?
He is CONSCIOUSNESS, who occasionally leaves the human body; (that feels good).

RexRed wrote:
Are our minds connected through these organisms, i.e. stomach, eyes, ears, bones
and every working part of our anatomy, (the bacteria in our brains) are these organs
communicating with a higher and/or lower self, and our mind?
Some of the people who have returned from death in hospitals
have asserted that there exists only ONE life,
that the diversity of life is an illusion.

David
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:03 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

Yes neurology is much like a river it has its main arteries that connect out in to the minute capillaries. Yes this river is carrying the spark of light an electrical impulse that is much like the same as the energy that radiates from the sun.

This energy from the sun is a river also that flows out into the biology and matter of this universe. This river is theoretically connected to the over mind of all life.

As the nerve impulse sends a signal from the tip of the finger to the brain the collective consciousness is connected back through the sun and to the over mind.

The vitamins, minerals and DNA are conduits to the river that is connected through sunshine and our own nerve impulses and the architecture of the mind is prone to providing us with the idea of an external presence.

The entire bridge to the divine is there and it requires only that we cross it and reach the other side.

Sunshine is much like a spaghetti monster... neutrinos pass through the earth in fractions of second and an entire array of light is emanated in spectrum that is perfectly adaptable by life.

Sun flairs and such provide magnetism in mass and this magnetism provides the equilibrium and flow that is between human consciousness and divine consciousness. The sun and light are surely involved on the way a divine being might interact with life.

Words make up sentences as sub atomic particles form to make up matter.
Thoughts and light are interlinked and the are uploaded to the over mind by neutrinos and even smaller forms of matter and energy.

The river is there and it is only logical to think there is a river bank and land on the other side of the stream or that the stream flows out into an ocean or that the ocean originates from a divine beginning or enlightenment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40731890/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Comment: Earth and the human mind is the very receptor and focal point of the sun that allows us to speak through the sun's two way flow of energy to the alien power behind and/or responsible for the sun.

This alien power is able to read our thoughts by using the sun as a two way equilibrium of consciousness.

"Let there be light" never meant specifically "physical light" but the light as logos is conscious communication through languages, words and the secret intents of the heart. Light that flows two ways to the sun and back again faster than the speed of light itself. Omniscient orb.
fresco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:18 pm
@RexRed,
Smile
Esoteric cosmology is fun! Try Gurdjieff's version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_of_Creation
linked to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esoteric_cosmology
RexRed

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:17 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Smile
Esoteric cosmology is fun! Try Gurdjieff's version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_of_Creation
linked to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esoteric_cosmology

I think I understand... so the all suns are the meatballs, the all worlds are the pasta and the absolute is the monster

We must be the tomato paste and the moon and earth are the garlic and basil.
Heat it all up properly and it tastes wonderful!

(couldn't resist) Smile hehe
fresco

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 01:38 am
@RexRed,
Not quite. Its more to do with farming. Wink

Logos corresponds to "the ray of creation" (analogy sound-vibration-waves- ray)

Ordinary "selves" are like sheep who are "kept asleep" for transforming the vibrational energy so that "moon can become like the sun" !
RexRed

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:09 am
@fresco,
I don't disagree, there are energies possible much more powerful and more prevalent than visible light i.e. spiritual energy, but,

Consider the proclamation "let there be light" was several days before the sun was supposedly set in the sky to give light.

Thus it only goes to reason that "let there be light" was dealing with language and communicative words (in the beginning was the word) that God would use to communicate with angelic beings of heaven before the earth was framed and eventually God would use light to communicate with humans of the earth or physical plane .

Also consider that our thoughts are electrical impulses in the brain consisting of energy and light particles.

Thus the assumption is that light is both in the physical and the ethereal at the same time.
0 Replies