How can religion exist after Darwin? Is it bound to die?

Neil D

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 08:26 pm
@Greatest I am,
I'm not sure if Einsteins theory of gravity being caused by matter warping space fits with gravity being a force. But it is accepted as being one of the four fundamental forces.

cheers
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 09:09 pm
@Greatest I am,
Thanks for posting the youtube link - very powerful.
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 09:40 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Religion, evolve ???

Two words that can almost never be used together.
The religious tend not to change the old rules. They just ignore them.
Christians no longer stone people for minor infractions like unruly children and Islam no longer cus off hands for stealing.

That could be seen as evolving I guess.

Regards
DL
rosborne979

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:38 am
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:
How can religion exist after Darwin?

It can't really. What can exist however is denial and self-serving delusion. Both of which have an unfortunate tendency to result in religion.
littlek

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:54 pm
@Greatest I am,
My original post was about that and about how they incorporate what needs to be incorporated in order to survive. When christianity started, the powers that ran the endeavor incorporated pagan gods. All along groups split from the mainstream and become new sects to fit the needs of their societies. In more modern times, we have women religious leaders where there weren't any before. We have openly gay people in those positions as well.

Maybe this is all more proactive than evolution is, but maybe not....
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:33 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

When christianity started, the powers that ran the endeavor incorporated pagan gods.

Don't you mean to say that they incorporated pagan festivals, or that they incorporated pagan ideas about god? Even the earliest Christian writings don't refer to pagan gods.
Greatest I am

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:46 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:
How can religion exist after Darwin?

It can't really. What can exist however is denial and self-serving delusion. Both of which have an unfortunate tendency to result in religion.

I agree. That is why good folk need to get involved. We are our brothers keeper.
help those unfortunates that you encounter.

Regards
DL
Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:49 pm
Darwin's ideas have been around for over 100 years. Religion is still going strong. Believer's will always choose to disbelieve his message or at least I doubt his influence will have any consequences on religion in my lifetime or my children's. Sad but true.
Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:49 pm
Darwin's ideas have been around for over 100 years. Religion is still going strong. Believer's will always choose to disbelieve his message, or at least, I doubt his influence will have any consequences on religion in my lifetime or my children's. Sad but true.
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:57 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

My original post was about that and about how they incorporate what needs to be incorporated in order to survive. When christianity started, the powers that ran the endeavor incorporated pagan gods. All along groups split from the mainstream and become new sects to fit the needs of their societies. In more modern times, we have women religious leaders where there weren't any before. We have openly gay people in those positions as well.

Maybe this is all more proactive than evolution is, but maybe not....

I just see it as returning to what was in the beginning.
Remember that the various cults had various God's. Some male, some female and some Gay.
Like with the Gnostics, these cults came under the power of Christianity which burned their scriptures and killed many but these cults existed because of mind set. The same would apply to those of other mind sets today. It is impossible to have diverse humans with the same mind set. Man's basis mind is the same today as it was back then so one would expect to see all these various cults and sects re-emerging.
Evolution takes much more time than what has passed I think.
Christianity just can't kill us off anymore.

The secular goal remains the same though. keep religionist benign and protect the young from the more extreme and harmful beliefs.

Make sense to you?

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:01 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Darwin's ideas have been around for over 100 years. Religion is still going strong. Believer's will always choose to disbelieve his message or at least I doubt his influence will have any consequences on religion in my lifetime or my children's. Sad but true.

Not if we all pitch in to change minds.
Take your defeatist attitude and bury it. Girdle your loins and fight for your friends and neighbors.

Regards
DL
Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:04 pm
@Greatest I am,
Sadly, it's members of my friends and family that lead me to this conclusion. That and people are still being mowed down in the name of God.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:28 pm
@InfraBlue,
The early Church adopted pagan gods and made them saints. There is a theory that St. Christopher was Charon who ferried souls across the River Styx. The patron of Paris, Saint Denis, was probably a Celtic deity transformed into a bishop. Eleanor of Aquitaine had her son Richard the Lion-Hearted "wed" to St. Valerie, Aquitaine's patroness. That relates directly to the Celtic Sovereignty Goddess . . . and remember the Celts were once masters of the area we call France . . . who married the king to grant him the right to rule.
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 01:44 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Sadly, it's members of my friends and family that lead me to this conclusion. That and people are still being mowed down in the name of God.

Then defend them as best you can.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 06:26 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:
I agree. That is why good folk need to get involved. We are our brothers keeper. Help those unfortunates that you encounter.

Yeh, because our brothers just love to be shown how delusional they are. Wink
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 09:32 pm
@littlek,
Religion will do as it always has done: it will evolve.

Not necessarily. I think that is the OPs point.
Zealots do not evolve, or compromise.
To man's detriment.

They drink kool aid in Ghana.
They ride spaceships behind comets.
They hide in the Mojave and come into Hollywood to kill people.
They fly planes into skyscrapers.

There is value in exposing false belief systems. They are not harmless.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 09:35 pm
@plainoldme,
Anyone who thinks a belief in God and a respect for science are incompatible, needs counseling.

I don't agree with this compromise. A factual explanation of the initial 'beginning' is neither obtainable or necessary. Evolution is an observance of the process of the changes in life.

0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 02:58 am
@Greatest I am,
Dude, just how many threads have you started on this subject?

You still don't get it? <SIGH>

Let's be clear about religion. It is inspired by humans in the same way physical tools were, viz., to improve their lives. And only a college sophomore would be sufficiently obtuse about the adult world also not to recognize that there are times when religions cause harm.

Be that as it may, your thesis is essentially without value, because you still don't understand the purposes that religions have as "tools" to humanity and the human condition.

To reiterate:

The four functions of religion:
1. Mystical – realizing the wonder of the universe, awe before the mystery
2. Cosmological – a picture of the universe (e.g., Hebrew worldview).
3. Sociological – supports and validates a particular social order.
4. Pedagogical – how to live a human life.

Since these things/needs/yearnings are universal to the human condition, I would like you to explain how Darwin, the Theory of Evolution, or even Quantum Electrodynamics provides sufficient functionality to provide for each of the items I mentioned in 1-4.

Because the only thing that will replace religion is going to have to provide for 1-4, but unless something else fulfills the functions religion does, you will continue to have human beings look towards religion to comfort them about their own sentience and sense of mortality.

In effect, religions will continue to exist as long as people ask who they are, where they came from, and where they are going..... in other words, until humans die off.
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:32 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:
I agree. That is why good folk need to get involved. We are our brothers keeper. Help those unfortunates that you encounter.

Yeh, because our brothers just love to be shown how delusional they are. Wink

No one likes to be corrected and admit that they were wrong about anything.
Quite normal.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:38 am
kuvasz

As a religionist myself, my goal is not to kill it, it is to make it realize it's limits. As you might have noted from my links to the abuse of children by literalists and fundamentals, they are my target for extinction. Not benign beliefs.

Regards
DL
0 Replies