My Kilmarnock Willow is leaning - how do I prune it?

smorgs

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 11:48 am
I planted a dwarf Willow (Kilmarnock) in June this year, to mark the passing of my lovely brother, David, in April.

Needless to say, it's really important to me that this tree survives, and it's done well so far. However, it's started leaning to one side. I've researched it on the net and found lot's of conflicting advice on when to prune, but nothing so far on how to remedy a lean.

I'm no gardener, but willing to try - so any advice in simple terms please.

* It's in my front garden, facing the river Mersey and golf courses, so it's a windy spot.

* I don't know if it's south-facing - I don't have a compass and don't know how to tell (I'm English and female).

* Should I prune it on the leaning side only so the weight pulls it back straight?

*Where should I prune it from?

* I heard that you shouldn't stake a tree as it makes it 'weak' is this true?

* If it does need staking, how far away from the roots should I put the stake in?

* It's winter here, but not very cold yet, it still has lots of leaves on although they are yellowing. How do I know when it's in it's 'dormant' period? Is it dormant when the winter catkins come on?

* Due to the location of my house, I get really hard frosts, should I cover it?

* It's in a recessed circle of soil in the lawn, should I 'mulch' around it? What with? That bark stuff?

I'd be really grateful for any advice.

x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 5,754 • Replies: 14
No top replies

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 11:54 am
Don't plant willow trees near to a house.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 11:59 am
Thanks for that advice Suspendy Titchmarsh!

It's not dead near...

Seen 'em nearer.

x
Swimpy

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 12:36 pm
@smorgs,
You might try guy wires. Someone will probably pipe in to contradict me, but I think I'd try that before I'd prune it this time of year.

Here's how: http://www.ehow.com/how_5731561_guy-wire-tree.html
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 01:58 pm
What zone are you?

The wind will play havoc with this tree.
Stake it straight and Wrap it with burlap for the winter, preferably in a framed box.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 02:30 pm

I've got one of these, a dwarf Kilmarnock willow, in my garden.

It seems a very robust tree. I don't think you would do it much lasting harm no matter what you did to it. Mine's gone very thick and bushy, and it's only about three years old. I wouldn't prune it for a couple of years or so, but I've got no special knowledge which prompts me to say that. What would you want to prune it for? Pruning has to be done for a reason.

Bashing in a stake would be okay, too. These are very tough babies.

Ask Dadpad, he's a tree man by profession.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 02:39 pm
@smorgs,
Well-you see smorgsie, willow trees are native to the banks of rivers and swampy land. They are used to not having to search for water. Evolution and all that. So if you get a drought on your land the adaptive mechanisms kick in and the organism searches for sustenance underground. And in a drought even that's impossible so it reaches further and further and eventually sniffs your sink where the water meter is located and sets to work getting into it. Which it is not adapted to do as evolutionary forces have never had to take account of copper pipe fittings before and they are slow learners. They start trying to heave your house out of the way.

I had a forty-footer cut down a few months ago on everybody's advice. It was about 10 yards from my foundations. Maybe 15. It was a beauty. That's why I resisted so long. And it being what one end of the washing line was fastened to.

But I don't know about dwarfs.
McTag

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 02:11 am
@spendius,

Quote:
But I don't know about dwarfs.

Dwarfs inhabit the land of Mordor. Or is that dwarves?

Have you got Dadpad yet, or am I going to have to do it myself?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 11:45 am
I've PM'd DP, is he around?

x
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 11:47 am
Swimpy - thank you.x

Punkey - I don't know about 'zones', I have plenty of erogenous ones though...

x
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 08:26 am
Quote:
I heard that you shouldn't stake a tree as it makes it 'weak' is this true?

Not correct but you will need to leave it staked for at least a year. willows grow pretty quickly so by next winter it should be good to go.

I'm imagining a sapling about head height or less. was there a photo?

Dont bother pruning.
Bang a stake in on either side at about 10 oclock and 2 oclock about 3 feet out from the trunk. angle the stakes away from the tree. \ I / like that.

Use a piece of inner tube from a bycycle around the tree to protect the trunk then pull it up straight with ropes tied to the stake.

Its probably just soft ground and not enough time to let the soil settle and roots to grow out into firm undisturbed soil.
Check it once in a while to see that its still upright.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 03:14 am
Thank you so much DP. x
McTag

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:35 am
@smorgs,

What's occurrin' with the tree?

Is it arboriculturally A-OK now?
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:39 am
And don't forget to protect the trunk:
http://shop.spiraltreeguard.eu/WebRoot/Store2/Shops/es120813_shop/4A60/8812/8C2E/13D8/D19E/0A0F/1118/0375/60x5cm_spiral_tree_guards_m.jpg

Rodent damage can undo your effort.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 01:06 am
Well thank you chaps!

Haven't done anything with it yet, just waiting for the rest of the leaves to fall, then I'll sort it out. Thanks for the tip about the trunk - suppose I should living near a major river (Mersey).

x
0 Replies