What came first, the music or the misery?

innie

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 02:48 pm
What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

[from High Fidelity, by Nick Hornby.]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 698 • Replies: 3
No top replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:57 pm
Good question. It is hard to tell. My guess would be that you listened to music long before you understood it. So, to return to your question, it is that you were miserable because you listened to sad music. Now, you might listen to sad music because you are miserable and it's a comfortable/familiar feeling for you.

Can I just say something slightly off topic, but you hint of it in your original question. I think when people kill or rape because music told them to, I don't believe the music is to blame. I believe either a person is responsible for his/her own actions or in some way mentally challenged. Either way, that's not the music's fault.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:47 am
I think the misery came first, because in most cases music is a form of venting one's feelings. Much as I do when I write.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:52 am
Dunno about you folks, but I don't listen to depressing music when I'm depressed. (Is it a good book, innie? I had mixed feelings about the movie.)
0 Replies