Lovatts Crosswords - finding answers

me81

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:04 pm
I find it very disappointing when I go searching for answers, that people have asked clues straight up and others given the answers. I feel it is cheating.

The following is where I find a lot of my answers:

The Collins Dictionary, The Macquarie dictionary, the modern reference encyclopaedia illustrated (book printed in 1932), Encyclopaedia Brittanica and any atlas for place names, any thesaurus.

AS LAST RESORT

http://www.crosswordsolver.org/ - for those clues i cant find a match for on the net,
http://www.thesaurus.com/ - for help with synonyms,

General search on google,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,415 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:08 pm
@me81,
You're barking up the wrong tree here ME81, no cheating involved at this forum, just helping people who are stuck!!
ragnel

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:48 am
@Dutchy,
I agree with Dutchy ME81. Yes, sometimes I think, 'Hey! I've looked this up, why can't you?' Then I remember that not everyone's minds work in exactly the same way; some are quite happy hunting up answers in dictionaries, thesaurus, atlas, etc, while others get themselves completely flummoxed when the word they seek does not come easily.

There are those who do think it is cheating to use the internet to find answers. Why? There is such a wealth of information 'out there'. I have multiple reference books and use them often but I also use some of the various on-line reference sites if I need to, and get so absorbed when I google and start to follow up cross-references. I don't regard this as cheating - it's just another reference tool that adds to my knowledge.

And if I can pass some of that on to someone who asks for it, why not? Certainly, they could look it up, and they would probably retain more knowledge if they did, but if they have not trained themselves to do so by now, they probably never will. Are we supposed to take a 'stiff cheese' attitude and direct them to the nearest cake shop?

We are not in school where the teacher is going to give us a rap over the knuckles for copying someone else's work. (Surely looking up a dictionary is 'copying someone else's work'.) There is no exam at the end of the year that could determine our futures. There are just a few prizes, most are good, some are very good - but there are none on offer that would tempt me to stifle someone else's chances.

I look at it as a 'pay forward' thing.

This is in no way intended as a criticism of you ME81, or anyone else. You are entitled to your own opinion. (Don't you hate that sentence? It sounds as if I am really saying 'My opinion is so much more superior than your completely incorrect one'. This is NOT so.) I am just waffling on about why I like to help out with answers. (I suppose there is also a bit of an ego boost when I can.)

Best of luck with your entries! Wink
philcottie

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 04:57 pm
@ragnel,
Well said Ragnel youv'e hit the nail on the head so to speak and I think me81 should get a life but at 81 as i suspect in this case they perhaps have tried.Now lets all be friendly over this because life is to short to not do otherwise.
philcottie
0 Replies

Maggie May

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 01:23 am
I'm new at this game and even a beginner 'computer user' so I was amazed at the generosity of spirit of those who take the trouble to answer queries from oldies like me. Thank you.
tigerblue

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 04:47 am
@Maggie May,
I agree with you all i have got many answers i am stuck on from this site of friendly people and id like to know how me81 found this site if he didnt use it himself?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 04:54 am
@tigerblue,

if you google lovatts, able2know is 6th from the top on the first page of results...
0 Replies

kate1

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 08:06 pm
@ragnel,
Well said, ragnel! I am just beginning to use the site, but am impressed with the generosity of other users, and will help them if I can.
0 Replies

sandraintheterrace

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 05:06 am
@me81,
The way I solve my beloved lovatts crosswords is I do as many as possible first with my brain, then move onto my dictionaries and thesauruses etc, then to google and when I'm all the way down to the last 1 or 2 stumpers, I find this site to be most helpful..not cheating, just step by step finishing up what I love to do.
philippawhite

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 06:38 am
@me81,
we are just people enjoying a crossword - get a life!
Pip
James34

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:51 pm
@philippawhite,
Hi
This was posted last October, I enjoy my crosswords, get stumped at times, get out a dictionary or three , go online as last resort and find, something other than what I am looking for, been to cavern's, ancient town's a myriad of places I will never visit, but I can online
James
0 Replies

margsy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:14 am
@sandraintheterrace,
That's what l do as well, and l am happy to say that sometimes l actually manage to complete a grid with mostly my grey -very grey- cells and the dictionary/thesaurus and then use goggle as a last resort, great to keep the brain working.ttfn good luck
0 Replies