Belligerent voice mail recorded message

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 02:50 pm
For the past two days I've had a recorded message (not a live person) leave a voice mail on my home phone. It's a very strange message. The person is very belligerent and sounds completely exasperated. They say something like:

"This is Mr. Parker, yet again. I've left several messages for you already regarding the situation that you have put yourself in. I have given you ample time and opportunity to resolve this issue. I may have to make a recommendation in your behalf. I'm trying to help you but I can't do that if you won't call me back. You put yourself in this situation and it isn't going to go away. Blahblahblah. Call me back today!"

I've tried looking up the number in a few reverse directories but haven't had any luck. The fact that they don't mention any names or specify a situation makes me think it's someone just fishing for something.

The message is certainly meant to be intimidating and that pisses me off.

Has anyone heard of something like this?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 02:51 pm
@boomerang,
Who is Mr. Parker?
boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 02:52 pm
@maxdancona,
I have no idea. That's the name that he leaves.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 02:55 pm
@boomerang,
I think I would ignore it then.
boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:02 pm
@maxdancona,
I have ignored the last few. But now I'm starting to get mad.
engineer

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:04 pm
@boomerang,
What time are they getting left at? You have to assume that the ploy fails if you answer your phone, so they should be calling at a time they assume you are not home. Is it the exact same message every time?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:04 pm
Did you call the phone company? It is illegal in most states to make harrassing telephone calls, and the phone company has the technology to track this down. Keep copies of the voice mail recordings.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:11 pm
Fishing.

Although I have certainly got some odd phone messages before, including one to inform me that my husband has been cheating on me with another woman for some time now. The person was obviously upset and drunk. I wondered what they thought when they heard my voicemail answering message?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:18 pm
They're being left around lunch time. I've just been deleting them until today. There is no time stamp on our home phone -- it's very low tech. If the messages aren't identical they are very, very close but at the end of the message left today it says something like "I'll be in my office until 5 PM, central standard time, today, Friday, October 29."

Now that I think about it, I have been getting a few calls lately for G.H. - the guy who lived in this house before we did.

Maybe I should call Mr. Parker back and find out what the heck is going on. Then, if it doesn't stop I can involve the phone company.

Does that sound like a good plan?
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:18 pm
could it be a collection agency given the wrong number in an effort to throw them off the track, sounds like they've had some dealings with this person already and have been jerked around
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:25 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

They're being left around lunch time. I've just been deleting them until today. There is no time stamp on our home phone -- it's very low tech. If the messages aren't identical they are very, very close but at the end of the message left today it says something like "I'll be in my office until 5 PM, central standard time, today, Friday, October 29."

Now that I think about it, I have been getting a few calls lately for G.H. - the guy who lived in this house before we did.

Maybe I should call Mr. Parker back and find out what the heck is going on. Then, if it doesn't stop I can involve the phone company.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Hmmmmmm.... dunno - wasn't there a thread somewhere along the line where someoneA2Ker dialed the number back and they took a bunch of bucks off them...

<dayum, sorry, can usually remember names, dates, threads - but can't remember the original poster>

anyhooo... it was something to the effect of: they called a number back which then automatically charged their phone bill (or mobile phone bill, whatever it was) with a big huge amount of dollars!

which would say to me, maybe nope, don't call Mr Parker back on your home phone - maybe from a payphone or from a different landline or just ask your friendly neighbourhood cop station to call the number for you - or the telecom company.

not sure if this is good advice or not.... but maybe nope, I wouldn't call from the home number if I were you.

edit: kinda like this UKwise

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/community/scams/phonescam.html

or this

http://www.telephonenumbers.co.uk/Telephone-Scams/i=6
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:25 pm
@boomerang,
Sure . . . how do you know Mr. Parker's number? Did he leave it with the last message? Do you have more than one tape for your machine? It would help to have a copy of one of the messages.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:29 pm
Okay, mystery solved. It was for someone with the same name as Mr. B but with a different middle initial and born in a different year.

I went a little berzerk on them asking why in the world they would leave such nasty messages when they weren't even sure they had the right person. They didn't have an answer for that. I put them on notice that if I received one more call from them that "their attorney" Mr. Parker would be hearing from my attorney.

I guess Mr. Parker was a real person and not a recording after all. He must have been using a script.

Thanks everyone!
roger

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:05 pm
I get similar calls all the time. Something like "There is not a problem with your account at this time, but. . . ." I called their number once, and they hung up on me when I demanded to know their company name and refused to give any personal information.

Phishin' is the game.
sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:20 pm
@roger,
Oh, I got one of those recently too. Several in a row from a credit card company. We looked up the number (like, not a reverse directory, just plugged the number into Google) and found a bunch of complaints about it.

That can give you some really good info (just searching the number on Google).

Sometimes it's just a process of elimination thing though -- if it's scammy/ phishy, it's very likely other people have complained. If you can't find anything, it might be more of a wrong number or personal situation.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:29 pm
@boomerang,
I'd call the police and report it for what it's worth.

It's quite possible that it's a bill collector who has the wrong number. Or it could be that someone might have borrowed your identity and thusly the collection agency is under the impression they are calling the proper holder of a delinquent account.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:31 pm
@boomerang,
Stop deleting the messages and start keeping them for a 'paper trail' to protect yourself later on if the person calling does in fact have the right number but is in error for calling you in the first place.

I wouldn't call him back either. If he perchance does have the right phone number but is in error for some collection purpose then it's not likely he will be helpful or accepting of what might be the obvious truth that he's barking up the wrong tree.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:34 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Okay, mystery solved. It was for someone with the same name as Mr. B but with a different middle initial and born in a different year.

I went a little berzerk on them asking why in the world they would leave such nasty messages when they weren't even sure they had the right person. They didn't have an answer for that. I put them on notice that if I received one more call from them that "their attorney" Mr. Parker would be hearing from my attorney.

I guess Mr. Parker was a real person and not a recording after all. He must have been using a script.

Thanks everyone!

I'd still look into a way to report these buggers. Their actions were not professional and perhaps even against the law.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:42 pm
I already called them back (see above). They had the wrong very common name. But with the wrong middle initial and a birthdate off by 20 years.

I chewed them out for a bit for being such idiots to leave such messages without knowing if they had the right person.

Here's what I think it really was all about: some bill collection agency hires a voice actor to be "Mr. Parker" the lawyer who leaves messages that threaten and intimidate people. "Mr. Parker" reads a variety of scripts with increasing annoyance, getting more threatening and intimidating with each call.

I knew I wasn't in any "situation that I got myself into" that needed the help of some asshat blow hard like Mr. Parker.

It turned out to be some "asset management" company which I assume is bill collection.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:09 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks for the tip.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Belligerent voice mail recorded message
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:13:02