School composting/gardening?

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 07:57 am
The Northeast Organic Farmers' Association (NOFA) will meet in Worcester, MA 15 January 2011 for its winter conference. This is an open to the public, educational convention with workshops and all day meetings on subjects of interest to both home gardeners to large scale farmers.

One of the workshops is on promoting composting and gardening in schools. It has bothered me that all too many yards are without gardens these days. How else can kids begin to learn the basics of nutrition and science as well as a respect for natural processes if there is no home garden?

I taught at a suburban high school for several years where there was a courtyard already set up for gardening. There were raised beds, made from brick, where nothing but weeds grew. The final year I was there, a biology teacher organized students to plant the beds.

Why not have the students raise some of the foods served in the cafeteria? Yes, schools do have a problem in that they are closed during the summer when many crop plants are harvested, but, even in the north, salad greens and herbs can be grown to use in the cafeteria, which can also supply compost.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,912 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 08:26 am
Oregon has some good school gardening programs....

http://growinggardens.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/a-glimpse-into-portlands-school-gardens/

The Abernathy school progam is supposed to be great. My neighbor's grandkids go to school there and they LOVE it.
djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 09:12 am
@plainoldme,
there was an excellent podcast from the BBC about this a year or so ago, some of the rural schools had large gardens and chickens, they also had co-op programs with local farms to provide work experience for kids in exchange for produce and meat that was used in the school lunches, if i still have it i'll post it
Miller

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 09:39 am
Quote:
all too many yards are without gardens these days

That may be, but consider that too many kids today are without homes .
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 09:12 pm
@boomerang,
Glad to hear that.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 09:13 pm
@djjd62,
Is this affiliated with Jamie Oliver's initiatives?
0 Replies