The Critical flaw of the American Elites

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:38 am
Quote:
Yet the student bodies of the elite colleges are still drawn overwhelmingly from the upper middle class. According to sociologist Joseph Soares's book "The Power of Privilege: Yale and America's Elite Colleges," about four out of five students in the top tier of colleges have parents whose income, education and occupations put them in the top quarter of American families, according to Soares's measure of socioeconomic status. Only about one out of 20 such students come from the bottom half of families.

The discomfiting explanation is that despite need-blind admissions policies, the stellar applicants still hail overwhelmingly from the upper middle class and above. Students who have a parent with a college degree accounted for only 55 percent of SAT-takers this year but got 87 percent of all the verbal and math scores above 700, according to unpublished data provided to me by the College Board. This is not a function of SAT prep courses available to the affluent -- such coaching buys only a few dozen points -- but of the ability of these students to do well in a challenging academic setting.

Far from spending their college years in a meritocratic melting pot, the New Elite spend school with people who are mostly just like them -- which might not be so bad, except that so many of them have been ensconced in affluent suburbs from birth and have never been outside the bubble of privilege. Few of them grew up in the small cities, towns or rural areas where more than a third of all Americans still live.

The bubble that encases the New Elite crosses ideological lines and includes far too many of the people who have influence, great or small, on the course of the nation. They are not defective in their patriotism or lacking a generous spirit toward their fellow citizens. They are merely isolated and ignorant. The members of the New Elite may love America, but, increasingly, they are not of it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/22/AR2010102202873.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

This accounts for not only why the elites were caught off guard by the rise of the tea party and the general anger of the nation, but also for the mistakes made in administering the nation over the last few decades that now account for the elites being held in low esteem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 732 • Replies: 13
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 05:26 am
i thought everyone knew that smart people were stupid
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:48 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i thought everyone knew that smart people were stupid
assuming that you mean book smart, we lost that somewhere along the way. My grandparents generation (born@1910)certainly knew it, I heard this criticism of the book smart often from them, my parents generation (born @1940) however put a lot more stock in credentials then their parents did.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
So you are claiming that the Tea Party is a "meritocratic melting pot"?

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:35 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
So you are claiming that the Tea Party is a "meritocratic melting pot"?
No, however I do believe that the tea party is partly a movement from the non elites against the elites, whom they accuse of being out of touch, ignorant, and hostile towards all who are not elites. Tea party members believe that America has been hijacked by a bunch of book smart ignoramuses, and that it is time for regular Americans to take back control of this country.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 09:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
So if students are from the 2/3 of America that is not in small cities, towns or rural areas then they are not of America? Seems like they are much more representative of America and the challenges it increasingly faces than those from small town Americana. As for the idea that the "elites" were taken off guard by the tea party movement, that is a joke. Elites made the tea party movement. The tea party is funded by rich elites, stoked by rich elites and given marching orders by rich elites. Every tea party candidate is primarily funded not by donations of $10 or $20 from "their base", but by donations of $10,000+ laundered through political action groups. They are pawns of one group of elites who are battling other groups of elites and like many "populist" movements before them, they are convinced that they are true blue Americans fighting the elites and willingly ignorant of how they are being used. US history is filled with "movements" like the tea party whipped up by one power faction and hurled at other ones. Nor are elites new to the halls of power. The signatories to the Constitution and Declaration of Independence were some of the most elite people in the fledgling United States. Small town "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" is a great movie, but it is fiction.

As to the demographics of the most elite colleges in the country, the author is right on the money, but those aren't the only universities around. Students choose those schools because they are exclusive, but many state schools offer an equal education at a price much more attractive to the middle class. Check the University of North Carolina or Auburn or Virginia Tech or UCLA or any of a hundred solid universities and you will find a much more diverse mix of economic backgrounds. Harvard grads might run Wall Street, but main street is run by these state school graduates. (Of course the tea party folks are staving these schools which seems to favor the elites at their exclusive schools again. Strange how that works.)
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 09:27 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
As to the demographics of the most elite colleges in the country, the author is right on the money, but those aren't the only universities around. Students choose those schools because they are exclusive, but many state schools offer an equal education at a price much more attractive to the middle class.
at this point the quality of the education is irrelevant. A university degree is only considered as valuable as its ability to get a person into the right job, and unless you have lived in a cave the last 25 years you know that there is a huge difference in the value of the various schools credential. The elite schools are much more valuable. In the Heyday of Wall Street (pre great recession) an Ivy league degree was almost a requirement to land a Wall Street job.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 09:28 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
The tea party is funded by rich elites, stoked by rich elites and given marching orders by rich elites.
such is the knock on it from the left, however this has not been proven to me.
engineer

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 09:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's true about Wall Street, but look at the halls of government in just about every state and you will find a lot more graduates of State U and State Tech. That is where America's middle class and aspiring middle class goes to get their degrees and where the majority of local lawyers, nurses, doctors, teachers, and business leaders come from. Just about all engineers come from state universities, usually with the words State, Tech or A&M after their names. These are the government elites you are complaining about. Those Wall Street elites aren't bothering with government; doesn't pay enough.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 09:35 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
That's true about Wall Street, but look at the halls of government in just about every state and you will find a lot more graduates of State U and State Tech
You are making my case for me..Government has long been considered a low class job, one step above teaching....

Quote:
These are the government elites you are complaining about. Those Wall Street elites aren't bothering with government; doesn't pay enough.
There are some elites who work for government, but most who take government funding but dont actually join the government.
engineer

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 09:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
The tea party is funded by rich elites, stoked by rich elites and given marching orders by rich elites.
such is the knock on it from the left, however this has not been proven to me.

I know you are fairly well read, so you can't have missed the stories on the Koch brothers or the numerous advocacy groups who don't reveal their donors and are dropping seven figures in various campaigns across the country. What kind of proof do you require? If you dismiss all of this as being from the "liberal media" and the conservative media isn't going to bite the hand that feeds them, what are you left with?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 09:43 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
so you can't have missed the stories on the Koch brothers or the numerous advocacy groups who don't reveal their donors and are dropping seven figures in various campaigns across the country
At this point the funding picture is so muddled thanks to the idiotic SCOTUS that we can not say much about funding. The first step would be to get some handle on how much the money matters, as there is evidence that the ace in the hole for the tea party is the energetic grass roots networking done over the internet, at no costs.
engineer

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 09:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

You are making my case for me..Government has long been considered a low class job, one step above teaching....

Hardly. Most congressmen and senators of both parties are lawyers or businessmen, just not ones who went to Harvard. These guys did experience a broad cross-section of their state when going to college at their state schools. He hear a lot about political dynasties like the Kennedys, Bushes and Gores, but that is because they are rare. Self made folks are the typical political leaders all the way across the country. The premise of the original article that sheltered elites in fancy universities are ignorant of "real America" may have some validity, but doesn't fly as a argument against government based on the typical makeup of just about every major government body in the US. Those "elites" don't govern and those in government we ridicule as elite are often the exact people we would hold up as someone who has attained the American Dream if they weren't in government.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 09:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

At this point the funding picture is so muddled thanks to the idiotic SCOTUS that we can not say much about funding. The first step would be to get some handle on how much the money matters, as there is evidence that the ace in the hole for the tea party is the energetic grass roots networking done over the internet, at no costs.

I agree about the SCOTUS ruling. If you have a link on tea party grass roots fund raising, I would be interested. Articles I've read have said the tea party has run out of steam in small dollar fund raising, but I don't recall seeing hard numbers.

Edit: Here is a nice article showing strong tea party fund raising.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Critical flaw of the American Elites
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:55:29