Is there a faster way to get rid of a large amount of documents than shredding?

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:26 pm
I have piles of bills and bank statements and **** like that. Probably about five years' worth of stuff. I stuffed it all in a plastic bag, but now I don't know what to do with it. Shredding it all at the shredder at work would take forever. Is there a faster way to get rid of large documents?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 7,376 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:28 pm
@kickycan,
I use a burn barrel.
kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:31 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah, I thought of that, but I live in a city of 10 million. It's kind of hard to find an open space where I can do something like that without the cops arresting me. I wish I could do that.
Pemerson

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:38 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Yeah, I thought of that, but I live in a city of 10 million. It's kind of hard to find an open space where I can do something like that without the cops arresting me. I wish I could do that.

About a month ago after cleaning out tons of this sort of paper, I put this stuff in a plastic bag and filled it with water. The next day I put the wet stuff in the plastic bag where we dump the dog poop and kitter litter. Nobody would ever guess...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:39 pm
@kickycan,
We recently got rid of a large pile of BBB's old documents. We took them to one of the annual free document shredding services in the city. You just stand in line with your bags and boxes of documents and they shred the stuff right before your eyes with something akin to an industrial strength tree mulcher that landscapers use. Took about 30 seconds for 4 bags worth of paper to be shredded.

Do a Google search for your city's document shredding services. You'll probably find some free services listed.
kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:40 pm
Ooh, two good ideas. I thank you both for your help!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
I don't see any free shredding in NYC. They have free shredding events from time to time, but it looks like I missed one in September and there aren't anymore scheduled in my area yet. I think I might have to do the water in the plastic bag thing.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 04:11 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Dude

http://www.flyfmkingston.com/theflyfm/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Dumpster-Fire.jpg

Waste Management

Cycloptichorn
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 04:25 pm
@kickycan,
Here's a list of shredding companies in NYC:

http://www.document-shredding.org/usa/new-york-document-shredding.php

Here's the city's announcement of their 3rd annual Shred-Fest last May. You might be able to sign up for an email notice for the next one:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/pr2010/pr_052110.shtml

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 04:30 pm
If the bag contains really sensitive info like social security numbers, bank or credit card numbers, passwords etc., put it all in a box and UPS it to me . I will reimburse you for the shipping once I get to Brazil.
Does that work for you?
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 11:36 pm
@kickycan,
recycle:

make a feature of the more ridiculous expenses while wallpapering the apartment

drive a 10 inch nail into that bathroom refurb you've been hankering

wrap loose scraps of kitsche n reality in them and dispose of thoughtfully

create the worlds first paper recycling bike path through the precinct

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:52 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I have piles of bills and bank statements and **** like that. Probably about five years' worth of stuff. I stuffed it all in a plastic bag, but now I don't know what to do with it. Shredding it all at the shredder at work would take forever. Is there a faster way to get rid of large documents?

Get a match and strike it...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:52 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

10 million? Go to the beach...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:54 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I don't see any free shredding in NYC. They have free shredding events from time to time, but it looks like I missed one in September and there aren't anymore scheduled in my area yet. I think I might have to do the water in the plastic bag thing.

Why not visit an out house out in the rural areas?
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:22 pm
What I don't get is the high quality thick paper that we must get rid of, like medical records, banks. Can't believe the thick paper used by whoever sends out those $2.60 fees for using some freeways.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:53 pm
@kickycan,
Seeing fire is out of the question within the NYC limits, I'd suggest pouring acid over it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:54 pm
@kickycan,
Find a outlet that sell wood chippers in the yellow- pages as even in NYC there should be such outlets.

They are likely to have at least one machine set up as a demonstration model and offer the man forty dollars or so to run your paperwork through his machine in front of you.

Problem solve.

PS Home Depot will rent the machine to you!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:46 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

take your time... have fun... buy two shredders, one for each hand... If it is money you are trying to get rid of, give it to the government...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:47 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I use a burn barrel.

There goes the environment...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

kickycan wrote:

Dude

http://www.flyfmkingston.com/theflyfm/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Dumpster-Fire.jpg

Waste Management

Cycloptichorn
Works on bodies too
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is there a faster way to get rid of a large amount of documents than shredding?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 04:17:34