Pop-ups on A2K?

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 07:39 pm
Just recently, I have been getting the occasional pop-up ad while browsing A2K. Now, my pop-up Google thingy blocks them, so I have no clue where they are coming from. Any insight into this problem would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,923 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:03 pm
Could it be a PM notification pop up?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:09 pm
nope.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:09 pm
Those are still enabled, the ones that are being blocked are ads.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:25 pm
You can't do that with Google. You can only enable or disable them based on the domain.

I think you have some spyware on your computer. Can you run spybot and let me know if that takes care of it?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:28 pm
Just ran spybot, I'll let you know for sure. I'm still getting the PM pop-ups, which is fine. I'll run it again tomorrow, and let you know what comes up.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:29 pm
I got one earlier too but it wasn't a pop up - it was something imbedded in one of the ads at the top of the page that tried to force download a IE plug-in on me. I canx'd it and then got an "Action Cancelled" notice at the top of the page instead of the regular ad.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:33 pm
Grr, it might be an ad network disobeying their instructions.

There are thousands of ads to go through so if you guys can give me any more info it will really help.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:40 pm
I'll have to remember to keep track of it if it happens again to me. I realized after I had killed it that I should have written down where the stuff was downloading from. Doh!
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:45 pm
I got a pop up last week. It's the only time I've got one fron here. I was going to say something if it happened again, (because I hate the bloody things). It was one of those "internet washers". The one that starts out as a plain blue, DOS style screen.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:46 pm
Can you access this link fishin'?

http://hosts.valueclick.com/show_current_banners?type=advertiser&id=4990

It's an IE plugin popup so be ready for it.

If so, was that it?

And if anyone get's any intrusive creatives (not just popups but floating layer ads as well) please let me know.

I'm not going to have time to hunt down the culprit but I will disable all ad networks that I am not sure are innocent.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:06 pm
I can access the link but that isn't the one that came up earlier.

The earlier one was trying to download a Javascript plug-in.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:10 pm
Hmm, well that's good news because that one is one I excluded and if the network was running it anyway I'd ditch them.

Back to banner huntin'...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:35 am
I'm still not sure, but I noticed something just got blocked when the Matchmaker banner came up.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:28 am
Blocked? By Google?

I just checked all match maker ads on all the networks and none of them are doing anything wrong.

Frankly, I think you are getting the PM notification popup and thinking it's an ad.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:13 pm
Sorry Craven, I had 2 PMs today, and the PM notification box is working fine, and not being blocked. I also currently have no new PMs so it was something else.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:28 pm
I got a login page to Valueclick "Performance advertising".
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:59 pm
I don't think you understand how the toolbar works Cav. It's based on domain.

If you are allowing A2K popups and the PM notification isn't being blocked it stands to reason that whatever is being blocked has nothing to do with this site.

cjhsa,

Yes, that link now requires a log in.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 01:04 pm
Ahh, okay Craven. Guess I'll run the spybot again, see what comes up. I only recently got the toolbar, so no, I don't exactly know how it works.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 01:05 pm
When you are on A2K does it say "Site popups allowed" on the toolbar or does it have a count of how many popups the toolbar has blocked?
0 Replies