0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 02:43 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 02:45 pm
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
John Lennon

We were all on this ship in the sixties, our generation, a ship going to discover the New World. And the Beatles were in the crow's nest of that ship.
John Lennon

We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first, rock 'n' roll or Christianity.
John Lennon

We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it.
John Lennon

When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream.
John Lennon

Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.
John Lennon

Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun.
John Lennon

You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!
John Lennon

You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.
John Lennon

You have to be a bastard to make it, and that's a fact. And the Beatles are the biggest bastards on earth.
John Lennon

You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 02:54 pm
LIVERPOOL, England (Reuters) - John Lennon's son Julian and first wife Cynthia unveiled a monument to the late singer Saturday, the 70th anniversary of his birth, and said the time for mourning the former Beatle was over.

The presentation of a $350,000 18-foot structure, designed to promote peace, was one of several events being held around the world to celebrate one of pop music's most influential singers and songwriters who was murdered in New York in 1980 at the age of 40.

Internet search site Google paid tribute to Lennon with a hand-drawn logo and mini-video based on his hit "Imagine."

Manhattan planned a benefit concert and Lennon's widow Yoko Ono was to perform alongside their son Sean as the Plastic Ono Band in Reykjavik.

Cynthia, 71, and Julian Lennon, 47, looked on in Lennon's birthplace Liverpool as a choir performed his music. A crowd of several hundred people gathered in Chavasse Park for the event.

"I think the mourning is over for John," said Cynthia, who was married to Lennon between 1962 and 1968. "I think it's time to celebrate, which is what we're doing."

Musician Julian added: "I think most things have been said. We come here with our hearts to honor dad and to pray for peace and say thank you to each and every one of you and everyone involved in the celebrations today."

As one half of the songwriting partnership in the Beatles alongside Paul McCartney, Lennon was responsible for much of the band's catalog, including seminal hits like "She Loves You," "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "A Hard Day's Night."

The band is widely credited as being the most successful in pop history, and Lennon went on to make his mark as a solo artist after the group split in 1970 with classic songs including "Imagine."

Ono said his influence continued to be felt, 30 years after his death.

"It's very interesting, you know, that songs like 'Gimme Some Truth' mean a lot now, and of course 'Give Peace a Chance' ... 'Imagine'," she said in Reykjavik Friday.

"All his political songs really have a lot of meaning right now for people," she said.

Lennon remains big business, and the anniversary, just months before the 30th anniversary of his death, has seen the release of a new wave of Lennon-related merchandise and music.

Ono oversaw the making of a digitally remastered Lennon catalog that includes eight studio albums and several newly compiled titles on the EMI Music label.

(Reporting and writing by Mike Collett-White; Editing by Janet Lawrence)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 03:18 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 03:53 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 04:20 pm
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 04:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for sharing I thought that I knew most of his work. It seems that I was very wrong! I guess that me being born in 1965 has something to do with it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 04:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
There is much more. I plan to keep going until his work is covered.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 04:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks I will keep listening!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 05:13 pm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 05:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
There is much more. I plan to keep going until his work is covered.

You have quite a task in front of you then, edgar. Smile

Thanks. I'm enjoying popping in and out & listening ...
Ah memories. I don't know how many demonstrations, for any number of causes, we marched to Power To the People. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 05:36 pm
None of the demonstarations I partook of were connected with John.
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 05:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me neither.
But his music was definitely connected to many such experiences! Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:10 pm
I went by the Strawberry Fields memorial today in Central Park. I never saw such a huge crowd there before this, even when George Harrison died. Then I walked through the park and found that they were having a special showing of Lennon NYC, a new film about Lennon's life in NYC (obviously), at the Rumsey Playfield on the East side of the park.

Wow. I got there about an hour and a half before it was supposed to start, and decided to walk the line to get in to see how long it was. It took me seven full minutes to walk from the front of the line to the end of the line, and there were still people getting in and making it longer. There must have been three or four thousand people standing in line to get into a place that has a capacity of about 500.

Okay, so he's still not bigger than Jesus...yet!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:33 pm
@kickycan,
I love that story, kicky.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:38 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 08:21 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe