SMILE?

roger

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 04:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah. Flap with one gum and listen. You will save the price of the book.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 07:26 pm
@Setanta,
I immediately thought of Tom Delay. He wears the same great plastic smile on every occasion. The Smile even graces his mug shot.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:11 pm
Well, if ya'll aint a buncha poopity heads with all yer 'I don't smile' selves.

I smile a lot. Genuinely. Unless I'm thinking. When I'm thinking, I don't usually smile unless I'm thinking about something funny.
Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 01:23 am
Smiling on command is not one of my things. But I do smile--when I'm remembering something good, when I'm seeing something amusing or touching, when I'm walking out in the street and I see a dog. Almost all dog spottings make me smile. I'm easy. Sometimes seeing a baby makes me smile, but it has to be a real cutie.

And when I'm with people I really care about, I smile because I'm with them. One of them will occasionally ask me why I'm smiling. Cuz I'm with you, ya big dope.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 01:58 am
I tend to smile quite a lot.

It confuses people if the situation doesn't seem to call for a smile.

I lke that.

Btw, what's the difference between a 'smile' and a 'grin' in the opinion of y'all?
Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 03:31 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
Btw, what's the difference between a 'smile' and a 'grin' in the opinion of y'all?

That's a good question. I have begun to notice a lot of authors describing this or that character as grinning. What the hell do they mean? It's gotten tedious.
jespah

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 06:26 am
@Setanta,
First off, thank ya for noticing.

As for the grin versus smile thing, I think it's showing teeth versus not.
Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 06:50 am
@jespah,
Yeah? When dogs do that, it ain't a good thing . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 06:59 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

That's a good question. I have begun to notice a lot of authors describing this or that character as grinning. What the hell do they mean? It's gotten tedious.

smiling faces,
sometimes pretend

to be your friend

A smile is a frown turned upside down....can you dig it?

Beware the the slap on the back, it just might....hold you back.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 08:13 am
@squinney,
My kid has a really fabulous genuine smile.

Thing is, she has a really fakey, weird non-genuine smile.

So school pictures and such.... oy.

I have to trick her to take good photos (posing doesn't work).
Ceili

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 09:06 am
I smile a lot. Can't help it. There is a lot to smile about.
I have a big toothy smile because I have big toothes... lol
I think the difference between a smile and a grin is attitude. I grin at naughty jokes or when something bad happens to bad people.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:12 am
@sozobe,
We went through the fake smile school pics with Cub from 1st - 5th grade. Cubette, on the other hand, has the full, hearty laugh and smile. No holding back with her. It becomes contagious.

I don't care for grins, especially in writing. Seems sinister when read. Not necessarily sinister when seen in person where other facial aspects add to the interpretation, though.

I say, if you're gonna allow your feelings to show on your face, go all out and SMILE. Or, laugh even. You'll feel better and everyone else will, too. If eyes are the window to the soul, smiles are the window to the heart.

0 Replies

weiwei

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:39 am
@Setanta,
I made it to protect myself at most times. However, the moment when I felt the ignorant beauties, I smiled sincerely as well.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:42 am
@Setanta,
One of the biggest reasons I don't trust Nancy Pelosi is that goddamn pasted on smile.

I once worked with a marketing executive who spoke through a perpetual smile. One learned quickly to never turn their back on that smile.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 10:22 am
@Setanta,
Say "cheese."

BBB
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 12:27 pm
We just came back from a car dealership.

The first thing I liked about our salesperson was that she did not immediately throw this big smile on her face when she approached us.

As we went through the process we both found her to be very friendly, helpful and gave us a good deal. She smiled when appropriate, and it was always natural.

It was the first time I've ever bought a car where I never felt like I had to cringe at some point.
0 Replies