What is "a million-dollar smile"?

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:25 am
I am a speaker of English as a foreign language. Accidentally I bumped into this nice site. I have a question to ask. What is a million-dollar smile? What is its etymology? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 35,346 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:48 am
It is an idiomatic phrase and therefore is unlikely to have a formal etymology. I can think of two common meanings for this phrase:-

Most common, I think, is a dazzlingly white smile revealing unnaturally regular teeth, showing that the smiler has had a lot of expensive cosmetic dental work, probably not really costing one million dollars, but in Hollywood, anything is possible...

Also perhaps, it could denote a smile like a person would have if they had just received a million dollars.

Both usages revealing a certain amount about superficial values to do with happiness and beauty in a certain culture...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:23 am
I think of the definition somewhat differently. I think it's a dazzling smile that might be considered to be worth a million dollars. A smile that lights up a face.

Looked but couldn't find the etymology.
0 Replies

AziMythe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:49 am
Kind of like saying "I feel like a million bucks!"
Everything is taken care of, no problems or stress. Life is easy, and we're thrilled about it.

If you just won the lottery, would you smile about it? How big of a smile?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:52 am
Re: What is "a million-dollar smile"?
shengliver wrote:
I am a speaker of English as a foreign language. Accidentally I bumped into this nice site. I have a question to ask. What is a million-dollar smile? What is its etymology? Thanks.

That's a big, wide smile filled with lots of white, shiny teeth.
pacificus

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 11:40 pm
@Miller,
To me it is meant to be the familiar teethless smile beaming with love, assurance and knowledge from Mahatma Gandhi. It shows both innocence like a child and his will of steel.
0 Replies

priyuspeterson

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 12:35 am
@shengliver,
It is a common phrase used for people who have a very cute smile. A baby's smile is considered to be a million dollar smile. It is commonly used in poems or poetries.
0 Replies